Tuesday, March 17

Pandemic Diary 2020: Day 2

A lot changed between last Friday and yesterday; namely, my boss who was not that serious about all this COVID-19 stuff, got serious. So now we ARE on a 2-week Work From Home directive.

My first thought is, of course, Hallelujah! What I've often longed for, an expanded WFH schedule! And it will make it easier for me to keep tabs on the kids as they try to do school from home. But the reason for it feel quites a bit less like happy news. Ah, well, so be it. We try to be grateful in spite of circumstances, right?

We had a good day yesterday. I was quite productive, I thought, and it made it interesting to have the extra task of writing our COVID letter and then posting it and sending it in all the relevant online channels. I felt needed, and useful, and like I was Doing Something For the Good of Everyone Involved. That was nice. Got lots of compliments on the letter, too.

I thought it'd be easiest, going forward, to do a daily recap of these days, kind-of like so:

What we ate:
Breakfast - Kate made us Oreo waffles in her latest impulse-buy, a mini-waffle maker. She got it with birthday money. Actually they were very yummy and I appreciated having plenty that we could package up for the freezer in These Food-Strange Times.
Lunch - We had to go up to St. Joe's to get some of Kate's books; they had opened for that purpose from 1-3pm. So on the way home, we stopped at Subway. I felt like we were going to get in trouble for going into a restaurant, and tried to propose fast food with a drive-through window, but we'd had enough of that on our road trip, so Subway (vegetables!) it was. I had a stern talk with Kate, though, that all these days coming up were not "days off" and we couldn't have lunch out every day (or ever, maybe, depending on what our state decides as far as restaurants/bars closing, like some states have done).
Dinner - Spaghetti and meatballs, of course. Pantry food if ever there was. I presume lots of people also ate spaghetti on Day One.

What we did:
Just drove to get the books/lunch. Alex came with us, to get out of the house for a minute. Kate, after her breakfast making, started a tie dye project (gah with the messy projects!). She did a t-shirt and shoelaces, outside in the backyard thank goodness, while I was on my first conference call of the day. Later she painted her nails -- a big deal because normally she isn't allowed (Catholic school uniform rules). Alex worked on homework. For band, he's having to record himself practicing his clarinet. Every Day. We didn't do any board games or other group activities. Not sure we will. It's a little different with bigger kids, you know? I've told them (a thousand times, by Kate's estimation) that they're going to need to develop some kind of routine, to get through this. We'll see if they do. *I* need to develop a routine, too, or I'll sit at the kitchen table at my computer muuuuch longer than necessary/healthy. We also went outside and played a little basketball, until we broke our ball pump. It was kinda chilly out.

How we felt:
I actually felt like it was a great day. I was glad to have interesting work, the kids stayed occupied, it's all novel and new at the moment. My only complaint was Ash the cat walking over my laptop several times. He deleted a big section of something I was working on, at one point! Naughty! (I got it back.) Kate and I even did a Pahla B workout in the evening -- important for mental health. I like/recommend P. B., but not her "walking for weight loss" or her "31 days" videos. Those are boring. The ones with weights, or "cardio + abs" or "cardio + strength" are great.

Hope your days are going well so far. Today should be interesting as Kate starts having actual work to do.

No comments: