Thursday, July 27

My Gift to You

I haven't had anything to say for 2 days. I don't want to bore everyone. As my Archives column gets longer and longer, I've been feeling like my blogging is the epitome of a self-centered pursuit. I mean, I've tied up little treasures of AJ's babyhood with a nice ribbon, here, and someday I will really enjoy reminiscing over this time in our lives. But the stretch of that list just seems egotistical, when I haven't really contributed to the greater good -- or even the tomes of good writing -- y'know? I went to lunch by myself yesterday, and as I was driving there, thought, "Well, it's good to have some time alone to think..." But then I stopped myself and admonished: "Wha-? You 'think' all the time! You LIVE inside your head! And publish it to the Internet, for some reason!" So that's where I'm at. (<-- Look! I just used one of my grammatical pet-peeves! I hate that sentence!) Trivial "Wonh-wonh-wonh-wah-wah" sometimes shouldn't be shared, just for the sake of a daily update. You're quite welcome.

Grandad's still in ICU, but he's doing better, we think. Husband feels he needs to go up there. And conveniently, we both have next TH and FR off work. Unfortunately, we had already bought plane tickets for a trip to New Hampshire, concocted by my college roommate -- a "mini reunion" of our little group of friends. We're thinking I'll just go by myself now. It'd have been fun to hold hands with my Hubby while walking down streets I've never seen, but oh well. Family comes first, and I know Nanny will appreciate having him to help her. Either way, AJ gets a break from both of us, so he probably wins the most. :)

Here's what I'm going to do, so I feel that I've Given Something Back today. I'm sharing a recipe. WAIT! An Idea! How about: Easy, Breezy Recipe Thursday, or something? All the cool kids are using clever "Pick-a-day" titles now. Anyway, here. You'll love this dessert!

Gina's Pretzel Pie

2 cups crushed stick pretzels
1.5 sticks melted butter or margarine
3 tablespoons sugar

Mix above ingredients together and press into a 9x13 pan or Pyrex dish. Bake 8-10 minutes at 300 degrees F.

Beat 8 oz. cream cheese, 10 oz. Cool Whip, and 1 cup sugar. Pour over cooled crust.

Top w/ fresh fruit or pie filling of your choice. (We like strawberries.)

Now, if you want to give me an easy recipe, I'm all ears. Dessert's the topic since I'm feeling my sweettooth. But after that, on with your day! Nothing to see here!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I enjoy getting to be inside your head. Makes me feel less alone in my ability to analyze EVERYTHING in my life repeatedly.

As for the sweet tooth...I tried out the strangest pie recipe last night. i though tit was tasty but not fabulous, but the neighbors LOVED it and ate three pieces each. it is both easy and breezy, so here it is.

Hoosier Sugar Pie (Paula Dean)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Whip 8 oz whipping cream.
Then add in 1 1/4 cups sugar, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup flour.(It doesn't call for it, but I added 1/2 tsp vanilla) Mix and pour into unbaked pie shell. Dot with 2tbs butter or margarine cut into small pieces and sprinkle with small pinch of nutmeg.

Place in oven at 450 degrees. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and cook 30 more minutes. (mine needed about 5 more minutes)
Cool until room temperature then refrigerate until chilled.

el-e-e said...

That does sound... interesting! I'll have to try it. Thx!

Anonymous said...

Do the pretzels need to be crushed finely like graham crumbs or just crunched up a bit coarsely? It sounds quite tasty, so I think I will make it tonight for movie night.

Anonymous said...

OMG, I want that pie!!!! Here's an easy recipe:
Step 1. Unwrap chocolate bar.
Step 2. Eat chocolate bar.

el-e-e said...

HA!! Funny, funny, MG.

Larry, I made it yesterday, too, and didn't crush 'em up that finely. Nor did Gina, who made it for me. Hope yours turned out good! AJ went, "Alee like dat."

Anonymous said...

You are actually doing a public service with your blog. Reading something that helps you see into someone else's head opens you up and makes you feel less alone -- like larry said. I am very grateful!

The only dessert I've made lately is banana pudding -- the old-fashioned recipe on the Nilla Wafers box. Yum.

FashionWhore said...

Banana Split
Ingredients:
Whipped cream
Banana
Melted chocolate
Pecan nuts
Chocolate sprinkles
Chocolate chips
White chocolate chips
Wafers

Pour everything over banana, and eat. Mmmmmmm.