
Dear AJ,
I have never been more thrilled than I was to watch you turn two this weekend. You are my big boy now! Your smiles -- both spontaneous and "pasted-on," which you now can do on command -- are bigger than the biggest sun, and full of so much life (and teeth!). When your grandparents arrived on Friday and you made laps around the house, giddy with the excitement of your impending party, it made me feel like a kid, myself! I wanted to squeal with delight that you were so delighted. You knew that all the attention was meant for you, and I wanted you to just revel in that, even letting you stay up WAY past bedtime because you were having so much fun. It's fun for me to witness that -- I don't think I've ever seen you happier. This weekend you built race-tracks out of wooden blocks with your Daddy, and I know that meant so much to him. I can't believe you played that game for 30 full minutes! You rode your trike ("bike") and let "ebber-body" push you up and down the driveway, telling us to go "Dat way." You ate cake, with a fork, at a table -- a bit different from last year's headfirst dive into blue frosting! And you blew the candle out. (It was fun practicing that.) You DANCED! Something you've not cared one whit about before. You played with your friends, and even though you made that pleading, "Nooo, that's MY toy," face a few times, Mommy knew it was all a big act, and in the end you shared. You behaved when we went out to a fancy dinner, AND... as if a switch has been magically flipped, you, at two, are EATING! I can't tell you how much THAT pleases me. I'm not sure why you didn't sleep well -- why you're going through this little stage where you call out and cry for me multiple times in the night -- but I hope it's just because you've been so wound up for four days, and we'll get past it. This weekend, you constantly asked, "Where my pah-ty?" and "Where my boh-day?" -- hands up, questioning -- and melted my heart a thousand times.
I am so glad you had fun, Sweet Boy. I am so, so proud of you!
2 comments:
Actually, for once I wasn't feeling at all melancholy. I was just elated. Still kinda on a cloud. :) He's precious right now. But yeah, definitely growing up fast!
Oh, how sweet to read about! And you describe it so well, my talented friend! Your "state of mind" reminds me of one of my favorite songs: "Hello, lamppost, watcha knowin? I've come to watch your flowers growin. Ain't cha got no rhymes for me? Do n do do, feelin groovy!"
Post a Comment