(Party-goers, check-in here.)
........
Several weeks ago, my work-group had a meeting wherein we racked our brains trying to think of any freelance writers we knew who could take on some of the projects we had lined up for the next month. Names were suggested -- people we'd never heard of -- and because we seemed to have no other options available, they were hired. "They'll learn how we do it," we decided. I doodled during that meeting: WRITERWRITERWRITER.
Yesterday, I was invited to write and edit a project "on the side." It's not a big project, not a glamorous one. But it's a writing job. I haven't had one of those since, I don't know... freelance? Since about 2001.
Today, someone else's writing job went awry. I listened as she was admonished for not making a deadline, and as scrambling commenced to recover the project in the quickest, most efficient way. By whatever writer was available.
Today also, appropos of nothing, a friend started chatting at lunch about her other friend, who'd asked her what did it take to be a freelance writer. She basically unloaded a bunch of advice that I might have called her up to ask her, if I was, someday, looking to become a freelance writer. If that was maybe an idea that had crossed my mind. Once or twice. If it's something I thought I might be inclined to do. Or... encouraged to do. (OR CLUBBED OVER THE HEAD FROM HEAVEN.) Or something.
*reference for you youngsters
3 comments:
OH, lucky lucky! I've said the same thing, "if it came up.." but I think mostly because I'm completely racked with fear of rejection and judgment. I think it's awesome that you are going after your dream and writing. You are inspiring. :-)
Thanks for stopping by today!! I'm totally excited (in a very nerdy way) that you have a 2 year old and are a working mom. DUDE. ME. TOO. Also? Loved the nerdy caps thing. CRACKED me up. HA!
hmmm....hearing voices much? Seeing any writing on the wall?
Um. I know where you might could maybe possibly find just a wee bit of business. I don't know. Just maybe. ... Seriously, you could totally do it.
Post a Comment