Thursday, May 3

A four-note chord

1. I finally finished my book, and enjoyed it down to the last morsel of footnotes, but I was ready for it to be over. I was starting to think of nothing BUT the subject matter, and that was grating on my nerves just a bit. Still fascinated... possibly a bit obsessed... and after the book and some additional Internet research, I am definitely more historically informed. But after reading that deep well of stuff about other people's faith, it sort-of makes me want to go pick up -- I mean, heave up, the thing is about 900 pages -- my Catechism book. You know, the comforts of home. I should possibly get a little more obsessed with my OWN faith. Heh. My last word on this subject: In many ways, we're all not that different from each other. And I think religion might be the number one most interesting topic for study, period. It is rich with the study of everything else -- history, politics, government, society, life and death. I can't get enough.

- - - - - - - -

2. My friend and frequent commenter, sdw, had her baby girl! I am so glad for them all. Say a quick prayer, though: they're stuck for a few more hospital days while Baby has a few more tests to ward off infection. And poor Mama was required by insurance (I thought we had GOOD insurance, sdw... WTF?!) to move OUT of her hospital room while Baby stays. Rrrr. I know that's hard on her. By the way: sdw? = sister-daughter-wife, and also my friend's initials. :) SO NOW, she's SDWM!! M!!!

- - - - - - - -

3. This is funny: The other night I discovered the meaning of this blog. :) My little scavenger. I was all worried, thinking, "Crap! We just BOUGHT that stinking dryer, why is it so loud?? Now I'm going to have to start reading yet another blog.

By the way, I have a question. There seems to be some unwritten rule that, even though we all blog, we don't really TALK about the blog in real life. Is that how you guys see it? I mean, so many of us blog in secret, not sharing our real names. I'm not one to hide my blog from friends or family -- in fact, my whole nuclear family and several buddies read me -- but I always get this quirky twitch when my Mom says on the phone, "I liked what you said on your blog the other day." It just doesn't seem like that's DONE. I love that she reads! And tells me she likes it! It's just odd that my eye goes all Quasimodo when I hear the words "your blog" out loud. It seems like we're only supposed to talk about blogging ON the blogs, or at BlogHer. :) Love ya, Mom! Don't you dare change a thing! I just wondered if anyone else gets this itsy discomfort. Maybe I'm just a weirdo.

- - - - - - - - -

4. I might have accidentally let my Dingbat show yesterday. Last week the daycare handed out a letter that said "Teacher Appreciation Week" at the top. I didn't have time to read it word by word, but I know it also said, "Wednesday, bring a flower for each of your child's teachers." So yesterday, after AJ helped me carefully select the most beautiful grocery store carnations (cheap! cheap!) we could find, we pranced into his classroom and he elected to carry them around himself until his teachers arrived (we get there really early). I did notice the morning teacher was non-exclamatory about the flowers, and there also weren't any vases around, which the letter had promised. Hmm. THEN, I took my lunch break at Target to find some little gift-baggy items like lotions and chocolates, to be prepared for Friday's gift-giving (couldn't do that with AJ or he'd want all the chocolates for himself, right?) -- I shopped proudly, thinking, "I am so smart to do this today." It wasn't until I was driving to pick AJ up at 5:00 pm that I realized... the letter also said "May 7 - 11." I was a full week early. DURRR.

(For you music nerds, that last note was a minor 7th.)

4 comments:

juliloquy said...

OK, I'm dying to know what the book is. Would you mind emailing me about it?

Re. talking about blogging: the main thing that happens to me is I'll start in on a story or view that I had, and the person I'm talking to says, "Oh yeah, I remember reading about that on your blog." So it makes me pause before I start talking: does this person read my blog? I don't want to repeat myself and get a bit self-conscious.

Also, I've given my blog address to several friends, but then they don't check it. (Sometimes they email and say how are things and what's new, so I give them the url again.) So it seems odd that a bunch of strangers may know me more intimately than some of my real life friends.

Anyway, it's fun to get to know strangers intimately through blogging, so I'll keep it up.

MaryB said...

First of all...insurance companies...damn them all! That is just inexcusably ridiculous!!!

Blogging in secrecy - hmmm, not sure. some people mentioning it do not bother me, but others sometimes do. (YaYa Ma is a-okay with me though!)

Lastly, don't feel alone, my dingbat stories are so bad I cant even tell people about them most of the time!

Mrs. Flinger said...

So, obviously, my name is not really Flinger. My mom actually DOES read my blog which boasts too much information about my sex life, and whatnot, but she's funny and yes (OH YES) it freaks me out when she says, "That post about your sex life was so funny..."

Uh. :: crickets :: uh.

I also just bumped in to a friend at Costco, who apparently, was so up to date on the blog having just returned from Mexico she actually knew all the entries up to date. *I* am not even sure what all I've written lately. So.. yea.. when she said, "Oh! I read that!" I have to stop and think, "oh, wait, I wrote that..."

And I don't read Rocks-in-my-dryer. I need to tune in more. I've glanced a few times over there but haven't stuck around. Guess I've kind of settled in to some faves. ;-)

Gina said...

Dang! It was 900 pages? Wow! Glad you finished. I understand how a book can consume your mind sometimes even weeks after you are done reading it. I hope your next book is just as fascinating.

P.S. My dingbat shows way too often.