Some days I sit in my cube and just listen to all the ridiculous typing going on around me, and it makes my heart ache. There will be no other sound except various ones of us pushing the letter-buttons. It makes me wonder WHAT in the hell is so important that 5 people need to be sitting here, brows furrowed, fingers clacking, for 8 hours. Even the sound of my own typing is giving me the heebies right now because it's just so obnoxious. I think it's also because we all type so damn FAST, like it's a life or death race and we have to PUSH, PUSH, PUSH all these stupid useless words out into the world, before we can hit "Send" or "Print" with a big flourish, and get up from our desks to go pick up the hot-off IMPORTANT.DOCUMENT. I'm mostly talking about work, and the business of the world (not blogging -- blog typing, of course, is critical). It just strikes me some days how stupid we all might look if the proverbial aliens came to watch from above.
I guess if the gears in our brains made noise as they turned round and round, that would annoy me even further. So thank goodness for that.
2 comments:
Click-clack listening. That's what I used to do when I was working.
Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/
http://www.mikeleonen.com/
I love your work commentaries. They are so sane. And what fun about your new little baby -- keep posting about the experience; it's fun to be a part of it. Oh, oh, I don't want to leave my little one to come back to work!!!!!!
Post a Comment