- Some friends came over for dinner on Saturday, and brought flowers for the table. They're perfect little lavender roses, and exactly match the tablecloth I had picked out. They have made me REALLY happy. Just flowers. I'm sitting next to them now.
- My coworker is back after her maternity leave. I'm alternately giddy because I've missed her, and sad because I know how she must feel today. I want to promise her that it gets easier, and it does.... I know that she's got a good setup of wonderful family taking care of her baby girl. And readjusting? Well, that's just part of it from now 'til eternity. I think we readjust a tiny bit every day.
- I feel like I want to CALENDAR the prep-for-baby to do list. Like, okay, we need to get AJ moved into his new big-boy room, and he'll need some time to get used to that before the baby arrives, so... calculate back a few months... aaaaand, okay, mid-November needs to be the goal.
- So, before then, I've got to get the closet in that room cleaned out. And the dresser moved out. And buy some fun things (maybe wallies, maybe Ikea) for decor. And a new queen-sized comforter for him. Make it as Pottery-Barn-Kids as possible, on a shoestring budget! But I want to wait 'til we know if Baby is a boy or girl, because if it's a girl, I can recycle some of AJ's baby stuff into big-boy stuff... and this is where my head explodes with all the thinking.
- I had a good talk with my friend Martina on Saturday night, who said she is so much better for her kids when she's working. For her, it means she comes home eager to see them, and not overtired from their whining and fussing. And she is willing to spend time with them, and is more patient, because she's been away from them. I decided that I feel that way, too in many ways. It made me question wanting to switch to part-time work, but I'm not about to deviate from that plan just yet. It merits much more thinking, though. I can tell you after a long day like Sunday, with AJ having no nap and not eating well, that *I* was most definitely over it, and tired (as evidenced by my SLAMMING his unfinished dinner plate into the sink after he'd been defying me, and raising my voice)
- Yesterday we played outside with the neighbors in cool, low-80-degree, no humidity weather. Unfortunately, the mosquitoes were still out in full force. AJ is NOT a big fan of bugs. He's pretty scared of them, actually. They told me at daycare one day last week, he cried all through naptime. When I asked him why he said "I had a ant on my knee." :( I can relate. My first nightmare was about giant bugs. I was really young -- 3 or 4 -- but I remember scenes from it pretty vividly. A dream. Weird.
a library of my thoughts on motherhood, family, working, and daily life. an attempt to know myself. (hello, self!).
Monday, July 23
All the ideas
...that might be good blog posts, if I could spend enough time to flesh them out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh, thank you for thinking of me! I think you're right about readjusting. Need to just get used to it. That's life. Time to start enjoying it!
Hey! Only now have I learned that you are pregnant. That's one big CONGRATS from me.
I understand about the love-being-with-my-kid/can't-wait-to-get-away feeling. Sometimes I just need time alone.
Post a Comment