Thursday, July 26

Work things, breakfast, etc.

It has been the busiest week at work so I'm feeling like SURELY I need to be doing one of a thousand work-things right now, but there is a curious lull, and a lack of email this morning, making me think I can stray for just a few minutes to write here. And make myself an egg and some toast.

This pregnancy (I guess) has made me return to breakfast, and decide that it's really the most versatile meal of the day. I've never been one to ADORE eggs and toast, but lately they just SOUND GOOD. As does cereal (Cinnamon Life! Raisin Bran! Honey Bunches of Oats! Rice Krispies!). I thought I had eaten enough cereal as a child to never, ever want it again -- and I haven't eaten it, regularly, in years. But lately it's just another one of so many great options. I'm Mrs. Mary Sunshine about breakfast, and part of it is that I have the ingredients for everything on this list, nearly every day:
  • I could have coffee and an english muffin or a bagel. Usually with cream cheese. Tomato if I have it.
  • I could have milk and cereal, and orange juice. (no coffee when I eat cereal, though, because I put milk in my coffee and that'd just be an overload)
  • I could have an egg. Toast. Butter. Apricot jam.
  • I could get crazy and have a banana with peanut butter.
  • A single-serve cottage cheese. (Love)
  • A yogurt smoothie with frozen strawberrries.
  • Toast and peanut butter, Sis's favorite.
  • Feeling savory? How 'bout an egg burrito? (I always have tortillas and salsa in the fridge.)
  • Or I could snag some of AJ's beloved Cinnamon Bun oatmeal.
  • Don't forget PANCAKES.
  • Blueberry muffins. (there's a ready-made package in the pantry)
  • Ooh, what if I made banana bread?? Score.
It lately just blows my mind that there are so many good things! And then I laugh at myself for being such a goof. But anyway, what's your favorite? Indulge me. (Of course I didn't say Eggs Benedict which is the ultimate favorite.... but I don't make that. I want someone else to make that for me.)

Yesterday at work we had to explain our division, and what we actually DO, to someone in the corporate chain of command. As I was sitting there I was thinking, "It's really pretty damn cool, what we do." And I think it was a little gift to me from God, that tiny thought. So I'm grateful for it, even though it has now fleeted away and today just feels like normal drudgery. ;)

AJ's teacher has said she thinks he's READY, absolutely ready to be wearing underwear to school. So we start tomorrow. (Eeee!) I'm nervous for him because he definitely doesn't have the #2 thing down. Normally he waits until the 6:00pm hour to do that business -- he's nothing if not regular! -- (so it's only ME who'd have to deal with it, which is good only because I think accidents will upset him in a major way), but what if...? I guess we'll just have to see.

I'm reading Harry Potter 7 and just dying that we haven't yet seen #5 in the theater. If we don't, it'll be the first in the series that we have missed on the big screen. And that would be tragedy.

5 comments:

MaryB said...

Toasted english muffin with cherry preserves, coffee, and fruit.
OR
Poached eggs served over buttered wheat toast with salt and lots of black pepper.
OR, oatmeal (not instant, I hate it!) with brown sugar and raisins.

Good luck to AJ! I bet he'll do just fine. Does he have some cool spiderman undies?

You have to finish #7 because I have questions/discussion. My other friends who have finished ended up with the same questions, so at least I know Im not dense. I know you'll have the answers, though! What do you want to bet that book club tonight dissolves into HP7 instead of Bees?

nicole said...

I want to talk about the book too. Husband doesn't read, so I can't talk about it to him. And it is a book that is begging for discussion. I just might go see the movie today by myself, if I can find my brother or some other kind soul to watch the kids.

As for breakfast, I'm not a big fan. But every once in a while I just want a good warm biscuit with just some butter on it.

Swistle said...

Mmmm, I like coffee (with a flavored creamer such as toffee nut) and muffins.

Or, dry cereal (Cinnamon Life, Vanilla Cream mini wheats--something sweet) out of the box, with a glass of milk.

Or, at a restaurant, sausage and potato things, and toast. I don't like toast much at home, but I like it in restaurants, with all the little jellies to choose from.

el-e-e said...

MB -- yum, cherry preserves. But please tell me butter, too, yes? And yes, of COURSE he has Spidey underwear, are you kidding??

4 -- BISCUITS. Oh, LOVE. buttery & warm are two of the most delicious words!

(I am working as hard as I can on HP!)

Swistle -- deliicous flavored creamer! they don't make the good flavors in fat-free versions yet though, which bums me out. In what brand do you find toffee nut?? That's my Starbucks drink: toffee-nut latte.

Anonymous said...

yes, toast and pb! My fav. Or toast and anything...butter, berry preserves, etc. But just a little, so as not to hide the flavor of toasted bread.

And cereal. I don't like to buy two boxes in a row of the same kind of cereal b/c there are just SO many good ones!

MB - what did you think of Bees?