I think all of my conference calls for this week -- which, no matter how many I do, no matter how chummy I feel with a particular client, always make me stress out just a little bit -- and I feel like I can finally relax a bit. [today's work rant:] I'm grateful for getting to use my mind at my job, and grateful that I'm not at home with AJ right now because we'd be playing Cariboo, I just know it, and I am not sure I can swallow ONE MORE GAME of that game... but sheesh. Other times I really WISH I was doing mindless data entry somewhere, or wiping someone else's kid's behind at a daycare job, instead of figuring percentages of success rates of direct mail campaigns (kill me) or wondering if this client's .asp registration form is going to hook up correctly with to our blah-de-tech-speak server config. [end. rant.]
So, the Hubby's high school reunion, surprisingly, was fun even for me. I don't know if I was just looking forward to a date night, or if being "on his arm," in a new outfit, in downtown beautiful Savannah made me feel loved and happy, but he was proud of me and I was proud of him, and all his classmates seemed to be super-decent people. I felt sorry for the one guy who was clearly the "uncool" kid during high school. He and he wife sort-of stood out from everyone else, a little bit ungainly and odd, and for a while Hubby and I both felt protective of them, like we wanted to make sure people were talking with them. We did for a good long while, and for the most part, other people did too. I worried when they were the first couple to leave, although I remember now they said their 12-year-old daughter was alone at home for the first time; it probably had nothing to do with feeling ignored. They had their own thing going on.
That's really the thing, twenty years after you've graduated -- not that I know, since I still have 5 years until that milestone myself, but my observation was that almost everyone had married and had babies, or else gone on with healthy careers and other friends. Their own lives. Their own stories. Absolutely no need for validation from the 88 folks also occupying the party room. There was less competition and more just... reconnecting on this new, mortgage-carrying, gray-hair-displaying level. I sensed that most people were at peace with who they were then, and who they are now, and who cares about all the other stupid water under the bridge.
DH says he was not "popular" in his class, although he certainly had friends. It was fun to meet someone and immediately ask him, "Okay, who was she in high school? Cheerleader? Nice? Snotty?" Several people, he said, never gave him the time of day back then, but were pretty normal now.
We visited the school, too, which was a trip down memory lane for both of us. Marybeth: Picture a school gym, darkened, bleachers pushed back, dust mop propped over to the side with remnants of spring's last janitorial cleaning -- corner doors ajar because LORDY, it's HOT in the gym when the central AC's not on.... What do you think of?
Summer cheerleading practice, right? Crazy. I walked right into my own life, albeit 2 states and 17 years away. The gym was empty when we arrived but I could almost smell the hairspray we used to wear (Aussie) and hear our coach shouting commands. I guess high school's much the same everywhere.
3 comments:
Just the thought of smelling that grapey, sickeningly sweet smelling hairspray makes me sneeze!
Ugh. I'm so glad you had a good time.
I can't see myself going to reunions precicely because I'm still so self-conscious I can't imagine not caring yet who says hello and who doesn't.
I can intellectually appreciate that 99% of everyone has moved on with their lives and really doesn't give much of a crap, but emotionally I'd be all anxious still.
Maybe by my 20th.
Besides which, honestly, everyone I hung out with in high school were theatre geeks, lesbians and others on the fringe, most in a higher or lower grade than mine. I can't see any of those folks actually going to a reunion.
K, yes, at our 10th me and MB both were anxious just as you describe. Even despite all the high-fallutin' stuff I just said.
Am hoping to shed that by my own 20th!
Post a Comment