Monday, August 27

Some things about this morning

I resisted the Thomas' English muffin aisle at Publix, even though I knew I only had one more in the fridge at home. I said, "Self, there are two loaves of bread at home (one in the freezer), you do NOT need English muffins, too, y'greedy spendthrift. You'll eat peanut butter toast and it'll be fine. Lovely, even." ...So this morning I was sad, sad, sad as I toasted the l a s t muffin and ate it with cream cheese.


My tomato plants, which I have tried mightily to kill dead with all this heat and forgetting to water them, are producing more fruit! So far of three plants, I've had two tomatoes, each about 1.5 inches in diameter. I was resigned to accept this as a moderate success and just concentrate on next year, and what I could do differently. This morning I went out to the porch and sat there looking pitifully at the plants, when what to my wondering eyes... two little green buds. I will love you and pet you call you George! And use plant food. Maybe there's hope for more fresh salsa, yet.


I turned down a job opportunity this morning via email. Not just from the freelance writing website that emails me every day ("HEY YOU! Write for Never-Heard-Of-It magazine and earn thousands!"), but from an actual person, a professional contact, someone I like and admire, for a job that I've said might be the perfect job for me, in the past. It was at a school, a private one, where I could have had a better commute and school-ish hours (it was a staff position, not faculty)... but I'm not sure I would have felt entirely comfortable there. I didn't even interview for the job, but I don't think right now is a good time to be starting a whole new career direction, with the baby coming and all. And I didn't want them to think I was interested, when I knew I wasn't. It was a career that would have required me to CARE, and GIVE 110%, and all that. And I don't really feel like that kind of a (new) career right now. (Of COURSE I give 110% at my CURRENT job. Of course! But I already KNOW that job.) I feel GOOD about the decision, but still kinda bad about shunning something that fell right into my lap. I'm waiting to hear back from my contact. Refresh, refresh, refresh goes my email window.


In the mornings I try really hard to read my work email first. There's usually nothing. Then I'll open up the feed reader and give myself 15 minutes. Then I spend about 30 minutes saying, "Just one more post. Okay. I'll just read this LAST one." It's possibly an addiction. (110% I said.)


On AJ-cam, all the kids are lined up sitting on their masking-tape names, listening to their teacher. The camera is at such an angle where I can see mostly carpet -- all clean, not a toy out of place. I think it's funny that in an hour, there will be Legos and animals all over the floor in different "centers," when they dump out the bins to play. I think it's funny because it isn't MY floor. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, no, you DO need the english muffins! Go get them!

I love the idea of a daycare cam.