Tuesday, February 5

Grateful

I'm so thankful that my mother-in-law has arrived to TAKE CARE OF US. Yeesh, yesterday I was so fuzzy under the blanket of a stupid head-cold, and I felt like such absolute kee-rap that when she appeared at the door at 2:30, I nearly cried with relief and collapsed in her arms. Of course, of course, I wish it were MY own mom -- even my MIL realizes that we all want our OWN mommies, which gives her BIG POINTS in my book. But we determined that I'd rather have my mom here AFTER baby girl joins us, so I can cry in HER arms when everything is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. So MIL is here now.

And I'm super grateful.

She is, as I type this, folding her third or fourth load of laundry.

She drove on up, because Sunday night was more than a SuperBowl, wasn't it? I mean, the game, yeah, the game was great. Even the commercials were better, I thought, than the last few years. But for us it was REALLY more: I had 3 hours of -- seriously, y'all -- 4-minutes-apart contractions. I thought for sure we'd be heading to the hospital and we considered which kind of homage we should pay the football gods for delivering her safely that night: we could've named her Manning, Brady, or maybe Belly-Check (HAR DEE HAR HAR)! That's what we spent the first 2 quarters doing, anyway. Checking my belly. It was big fun. Sitting down didn't stop 'em. Lying down didn't. Cold water didn't. But I was still able (and willing) to eat my share of our hosts' spinach dip and pizza ring, and I walked around a bit without my "cement shoes," as hubby calls it when I waddle around at a snail's pace... so I couldn't really decide if it was "REAL" labor or what. Called the doctor, who didn't seem concerned. Then everything subsided and we all went about our business.

I fell asleep during the beginning of the 4th quarter (body a little worn out, maybe?) then woke up in time for the best part of the game.

* * * * * * * *

I've gotten a little sad a couple times this week, thinking, "But our family is just perfect like it is." Even though I know it will only get MORE perfect and there will be MORE love. It's a little bittersweet, I guess. And then Beth started taking pictures of her daughter's "last only-child" moments, and... I hadn't even thought of that.

13 comments:

Beth Fish said...

Sorry, I'm such a trouble maker.

Melessa Gregg said...

It IS a bittersweet time right now. It's very normal to feel the way that you do. (It's also very normal for me to stalk your blog wondering "any baby yet?" Aren't you glad I can't call?)

I'm glad your MIL is there for you.

Melessa

Tess said...

You know what is SO WEIRD about me, is that I don't think of my daughter as an only child, even though she IS. I think it's because we always PLANNED to have more than one, or something. So yeah, the "last moments as an only child" thing would never occur to me either.

Anonymous said...

I'm the same as Tessie: I never thought of Rob as an only child, just as a firstborn. I did take one photo of him as we were leaving for the hospital, in his last minutes as the only child, so I guess it KIND OF occurred to me---but not much.

4-minute contractions and no baby?!? Biology is a BITCH.

Mandy said...

I, like a previous commenter, am also stalking your blog wondering about the baby's arrival!

You're soooo very lucky to have a MIL like that.

MaryB said...

I'm so glad that help has arrived. AND understanding help - even better! Wish I could be there myself.

We are all stalking your blog madly! I might have to give up and get set up with google reader to make Self's BabyWatch more effective/efficient!

Madame Queen said...

OMG! You and Precarious Tomato are KILLING ME! I go out of town for three days and look what I miss -- or almost miss.

I never thought about Bubba's last days as an only child -- mostly because I was ready to get the girl child OUT OF THERE!! At all costs.

el-e-e said...

You guys are so right -- that's exactly why I haven't thought of it, because I've never considered AJ our "only child."

I guess that's a happy thought, really. :)

nicole said...

I didn't have time to think of my first as an only child, as her first sibling arrived a mere 4 days after her first birthday. It is a little bittersweet to think about the changes ahead. I was just napping with Monster yesterday and thinking about how he won't be the baby anymore in a few weeks and I got a little sad. But, the baby to come will definitely fill your home (and mine when he/she arrives) with even more love and stuff. Can't wait to hear news of the arrival.

Anonymous said...

As we all know, any coming change makes us hold on to the security (and sweetness) of what we have. In a year, you are going to LOVE your perfect, whole little family of four!

Anne B. said...

I thought I wold HATE having my inlaws at my home after The Baby was born, but they are always such a help. We'll be trying for another soon. Eeep.

Black Sheeped said...

I guess I was wrong about the fourth. Whoops. I'm SO GLAD you have awesome help!

Krissy said...

Hi! This post was on the fifth. It's now the 7th. Do you have something to report, Missy?? Hmmmmmmmmm?

Sending lots of love your way.