Just had the 6-week checkup. My days of pre-natal and natal at the doctor are over. I was a little bit sad when the doc left the room! KT is all done being gestated, she's here, and my medical life now goes back to being my very own, and not scrutinized every month by the OBs. Kinda weird. End of an era, too, since our plan is to not have enough kids to outnumber us.
AJ is feeling better. He had a strep test but no strep, so it's just been a bad cold, whose fever finally ended in the middle of the night last night. He's fine to go to school tomorrow, but I kinda want to complete the "week off" and keep him home on a day when he feels good. We'll see. His Dad's pushing for taking him to school tomorrow, so he won't be completely "ruirnt" for it, as they say here in Georgia. I also want to make a lasagna tomorrow, so it may serve me better for him to go to school, too! Selfish, who? Me? I'd pick him up early though. Now that I'm better at this gig, I feel like I can get us out the door pretty much any time of day.
I was composing a post on my way home that I thought I'd title, "Me and The Girls," with a mention of Book Club tonight, deceptively on-topic, and then casually turn to the metaphoric topic of breastfeeding. (Oh, who am I kidding, I can't ever casually turn into a topic; it'd be an abrupt paragraph change like always.) It was going to be a touching history of the difficulty I had trying to nurse AJ, and my subsequent hesitation about nursing this time. But I don't have time for all that. The Girls, they have performed pretty well for KT. I can tell you it still satisfies me when she first starts a feeding and swallows after every suck, like there's actually -- a lot of -- liquid coming out of those babies! It's hard for me to believe, honestly. Anyway, I was relieved to hear from my OB today that she continued to b'feed her son 'til he was nearly a year, without having to pump at work. THAT would work for me. Because people, I do not have the energy or drive to pump at work. I have alternately wanted to absolutely quit breastfeeding when it was still painful, and then want to maybe hang on just a bit longer, these last six weeks. In fact, my only goal was to get to 1 month, and my hope was to get to 6 weeks -- both accomplished. *golf claps for me!* Of course I know I'm going back to work and so at this point we're doing every other feeding with a bottle of formula. I wonder how my supply will handle a further weaning, and if I really CAN hold onto one or two feedings for a while. Like everything I ever say, I guess We'll See. (I should have named my blog that.)
I gotta go because it's 70 degrees out and AJ needs fresh air. :) Tomorrow's Friday, hooray!
4 comments:
I want to write a cool comment about how much I enjoyed how you wrote that blog ... about the medical side of "being on your own" and the "the girls" etc ... but I dont know HOW to put what I am thinking into words soooo- I will just give you some "golf claps" and perhaps some "finger snaps" too;)
Yeah isn't it weird at the final check up when it's all "done and done". I was so used to going to the doctor every month, or towards the end every two weeks, that I really did feel like it was the end of an era.
Glad the nursing is going well.
That's so awesome that breastfeeding is going better this time around. I had a HUGELY hard time with the first few months with my daughter, but it was soooo worth it to stick with it! What a weird feeling it must be to know you're done having babies :-P
I think it's safe to say I'm done after just one itty bitty baby. But I'm trying to savor every minute.
Well, much to my surprise, I am still able to nurse her a couple of times a day without pumping. And my supply has to be way on the low side of normal. I know she's not getting much, but it's something. I'm glad you aren't going to have to deal with the pumping.
I'm glad AJ is well! And on that front, a question for any more experienced moms who visit here: I just had my first experience leaving M in a church nursery with two other kids who were very sick-looking (very, very runny noses). I watched her go to everything they touched and put it in her mouth. So what do you do in situations like these? Is she going to get sick today?
Post a Comment