Melessa asked if I'd update to say that we're okay after the I-guess Famous Atlanta Tornadoes of 2008 -- Yes, we're perfectly FINE. Funny that she's the Oklahoman, asking about MY tornadoes. :) It was quite a weird weekend, though, with our local ABC-affiliate broadcasting their greenscreen and 3D maps all day. DH got pretty good at understanding the meterologists' mumbo-jumbo about BTIs and F-numbers. I was happy for them, getting their Big Day. I just love when meteorologists take off the sports coats and roll up their sleeves, like, "We've got to get down and dirty here, folks, this shit is SERIOUS." Secretly they're in the breakroom high-fiving each other and saying, "WOO HOO, AIR TIME!!"
My big event of Saturday, between warning sirens, was a birthday party at where else? Chuck E. Cheese. I went with AJ and left KT baby at home with her daddy, and it was really fun. AJ and I haven't gotten to spend a lot of quality time together, just us, in the last 4 weeks. Sure, we play the occasional game of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles when he's in the bathtub, and I've been reading a lot to him (only thing you can do with no hands), but as for going out together? Like we used to? Not so much. (Don't be fooled, I'm not talking about appletini and pedicure dates. We just used to go to Publix or Target together after I picked him up from school on weekdays. Special time on the cereal aisle, y'know.)
So, Chuck E. is still the same ridiculous beeping and flashing place it always has been, in case you're wondering. You'd be wise NOT to schedule your kids' birthdays there, but you probably will; people always do. So of course we're now thinking about AJ's next birthday -- we've only done small parties at our house so far, but since his classmates seem to be having Parties now, capital P, we probably will, too, come July. I'm thinking one of the jumping places.
If you can believe this, I'm also already dreaming about our summer vacation at the beach. Simply can't wait. Guess my Oreo habit will have to be terminated before swimsuit season, but I think I'll give myself two more weeks ('til my 6-week OB visit) before cutting down to one lousy cookie per day. THAT will sure be a buzzkill.
SPEAKING of buzzkills (I am all over the place with 2-sentence paragraphs today) --! Holy crap, did I have a meltdown last night. After 2 hours of rocking, walking, rocking again (my back hurted, waaa), letting her suck on my finger, her pacifier, her hands (she'd already had both b00b and bottle at 10:30pm), she STILL wasn't falling asleep. Meanwhile, I WAS, and at 12:40 I went crying downstairs with her, and actually told her to "Shut Up and go to Sleep." Sigh. I hate those kind of (perfectly normal) feelings. Gawd, they make you hate yourself 2 seconds after you say them out loud, don't they? After five more minutes of me snuffling and her nursing, thank goodness she settled.
Hey, ONE last thing -- I LIED to our pediatrician yesterday. "Does she always sleep on her back?" *Nods head convincingly* "Oh, yes." (Anyone else? C'mon, I can't be the only rebel out there.)
7 comments:
HAHA.
You lied to the ped.... :-)
And I hate going to C.E.C. solo. It's quite boring for me to eat shitty pizza ALONE while my daughter disappears in to the tubey slide thingy for 2 hours.
I fondly remember all those meteorology terms from when I lived in Kansas.
You rebel you! I didn't get the wise idea until months later, "wait I don't have to do every little thing the pediatrician says?" The kid's sleep improved immediately. But you didn't hear it from me ; )
My son didn't sleep for the first four months of his life until we finally allowed him to sleep on his tummy.
We actually switched peds. because the first one made us feel so bad about this. The pediatric gastroenterologist told us she obviously couldn't give us her blessing (for liability reasons) but that we should at least take all the bumpers etc. out of the crib just to be safe. And of course I checked on him 1000 times a night for quite awhile.
I'm fully prepared to do the same thing if this next baby has similarly awful reflux.
I love the thing about the meteorologists! I always think that, too: that they must just FLIP OUT when there's a Big Serious Storm to cover. YEAH WHO'S A "WEATHERMAN" NOW???
The most memorable party my kids went to (each of the older two got invited once, and this is hard to phrase) was at a local gymnastics place. Everyone came in shorts and a tee, and they did fun gymnastics stuff for an hour and then had cake.
I hate those (perfectly normal) feelings, too, and I love the way you put it. I'm not officially saying one way or another, but I WILL say that IF I had a child who screamed on his back but slept like an angel on his tummy, I would consider it within the range of possibly actions to lie to the pediatrician. I'm just saying IF.
Ha. M slept on her tummy from about week two. My sister and Mom were like, you've got to be kidding; put her on her tummy. She was so much happier, and she had a nice, round head with no bald spot. Somebody told me that a lot of those SIDS studies were done in England where kids tend to sleep on fluffy blankets and mattresses. Don't know if that's true. I'm not making light of the SIDS fears. It's just that back sleeping didn't seem to be an option for M. About the meltdown -- glad to hear that you're normal. You're an awesome Mom.
We had a rough night here too, although it did not get rough until about 2:30 a.m. and ended somewhere around 5:00 a.m. Thankfully nights such as those are rare. Glad to hear you survived Tornado '08.
ugh, I dread having to do "Real Parties" ... I really dont kids that much ... yep, I said that out loud.
I put Collin on his tummy early too . .he slept better and he looked like he was getting a flat head ... anyway.. we didnt have stuff in his crib, we didnt smoke and we werent morons AND he is still alive!!
Did you girls see the Today Show this morning with even more stuff that is harmful to kids ... I swear by the time we have grandkids they will have to live in a bubble, its no wonder we all survived not sitting in car seats.
Post a Comment