
(Notice how suspicious KT looks! Ha!)
I was not certain we'd be able to pull off any semblance of an Easter celebration, but we DID! The bunny came, and his cleverness was appreciated, both in toy selection ("Wow, the Bunny KNEW I wanted a yellow RACE CAR!") and candy options, which included a Nerds Rope and some Sweet Tarts. We managed to get ourselves out the door and to the 9:00 AM Mass (I KNOW! NINE A.M.!), with both kids dressed and hair combed, and even better, we stayed in our seats the entire service. I don't think my Husband has spent a whole Mass next to me in at least a year. He usually carts a fussing toddler out to the narthex, and stays there.
It helped that we attended the Family Mass in the school gym, complete with children's choir and songs that clap. That kept AJ entertained a bit, and he even came home singing, "This is the DAAAY, This is the DAY-AY, This is the DAAAY that the LORD HAS MADE." (More on that in coming post but you KNOW my chorister heart was smiling!) Maybe we'll have to do the Family Mass more often. I've tried to avoid it because it's all Drums and Electric Guitar. Gah. But... sometimes you gotta lower your standards. I lowered them in one other way that helped our cause: brought AJ a Ziploc'd snack. Now, I have long abhorred the idea of snacks in church, because HELLO, WE didn't have snacks and yet we managed to behave most of the time (and walked uphill both ways). But... again, I just decided why fight it.
Smartest thing we did -- saved Easter Egg Hunting for After Mass. Brilliant way to convince AJ to sit still. Not that we'd THREATEN to skip the Egg Hunting of course. Ahem. But the opportunity was there just in case.
I even made fancy Easter dinner -- or, more to the point, served it fancily on good china with linen napkins. We hardly ever eat in the dining room but you know, there has to be a Special Occasion once in a while that you HARNESS, and Make Special. Plus, using china and silver makes ME feel good (and it's all about me, after all). Dinner was a roast chicken breast, steamed asparagus with lime sauce, and Uncle Ben's. Actually not that exciting, but the whole presentation gave me great satisfaction.
What did you guys do to celebrate?
7 comments:
My mom NEVER let us have snacks in church, but my dad once let us bring a TOY GUN (NICE!).
I like the title of this post a lot. Heh.
Look at those adorable, squidgable children that the Easter bunny came for! Please ship them to me IMMEDIATELY.
I'm glad you got to have a proper Easter. Good on you for behaving kids.
We tried to go to church last year and the highlight was Wallace deciding to rock out and lead everyone in a proper body jam in front of everyone in the balcony during the procession hymnal. I whisked him out of there toot sweet.
If you aren't church-goers, Easter is not the time to begin.
Cute picture! Sounds like a lovely Easter and a yummy dinner. I love that AJ was so impressed with the Easter Bunny's selections!
We did not celebrate at our house because we came home from Mexico sick as dogs. Ugh. I swear we didn't drink the water, but someting got us good.
So cute - wonder what it is she is suspicious of???hmmm...
Glad it all went so well, especially with a newborn. Miracles on Easter, right?
Asparagus is mandatory at Easter, doncha think? YUM!
OK, you may have just given me the courage to attempt Mass with Collin. I am glad you all had a good Easeter! We will be in ATL in a few weeks, up for a short visit?
Oh, and we threw ribs on the grill .. not very Easter of us I suppose!
Wow! What an accomplishment! In the continuing spirit of ruining every holiday with M so far, I chose to fall asleep on 285 on Sunday. But we got an Easter miracle in that we made it out unscathed. Well, not the car.
SDW!!! I want you to know that I love you and am praying for y'all -- how scary. It could have happened to ANYONE, please remember that. Poor you. Glad you're okay.
Mandy -- emailed ya.
Post a Comment