Friday, September 12

And then I'll draw on the chalkboard for 47 minutes

This Sunday, we'll be learning about Land, Water, Earth and Sky in the St. Joseph's Kindergarten classroom. I'm excited because I think it's going to be a fun-filled hour. Now that we're getting to know the kidlets, and they us, there's less fumbling around and we can do more actual learning. Thankfully, we also have great BOOKS to spoon-feed us ideas, since we are volunteers, after all, and not trained in education. However, I think I have some decent ideas for my portion of the lesson:

- Our weekly read-aloud story (which I read ahead of time!) has the word "rain" about seventeen times, so I'm going to have the kids make a "rain" sign/motion every time they hear it. I wanted to bring a rain stick, too, but alas, I don't have one. Also, I hate rain sticks.

- OBVS we're going to be singing You Are My Sunshine and Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. Anyone know a good "Moon" song? .... me, either. I'm also predicting that songs are going to be my default activity. Get used to it, kids. ;)

- We're doing a "buried treasure" thing for the land/earth portion. A plastic bin, a bag of sand, and "treasures" of rocks, sticks, and shells. Heh Heh. "Here, kids! Have some yard detritus!" I think they're going to go bananas over it. I'll be toting my dustbuster.

Oh, and P.S., I'll also be toting my kid. He promised me that he'd try Sunday School one more time, after flat refusing to attend last weekend. It's going to somewhat tick me off if he decides he doesn't like it. But since the diocese doesn't require it for his age, I'm not requiring it, either. If he doesn't like it after this week, I'll let it go. Too bad I signed up to do this for together-time, church-focused, WITH HIM. Sigh. Oh well. I am sure I'm benefiting, anyway.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems like they'd let him be in your class. "Mr. Moon, moon, bright and shiny moon, shining down on me. Mr. Moon, moon, bright and shiny moon ..." Unfortunately, that's about all I know. I always sing "hiding behind the old oak tree," but I'm pretty sure I made that up.

Julie said...

"When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore!..." from MOONSTRUCK. :)

Sounds like you have everything under control for Sunday. Have fun!

Kali said...

My sister and I love this song and end our sing-alongs with it: http://bussongs.com/songs/i_see_the_moon.php

There are other versions of these lyrics but we sing this one mostly.

el-e-e said...

Kali: Thanks!! Perfect!

(Interesting clip, too, of the Claire Danes movie. I'm going to have to look into that.)

Mandy said...

..so how did it go???