Wednesday, September 3

Nothing to report, really

Today I don't really have anything earth-shattering to tell (do I ever?), but I think some of my better posts are the ones where I just type for a while and see what materializes. Free-form blogging, as it were. You've been warned.

My mind has been trying to wrap itself around the elections the last week or so, like most people. I don't like watching either convention, because it's all just a lot of scripted cheerleading and Other-Party-Bashing, and I don't like that. There's little of substance. But I have peeked in on each convention and you know what I've noticed the most? The sets. Like, behind the DNC podium one day last week they had a couple of huge window panels, right? Those were pretty, with the beige carpet-y looking surroundings. I don't know if that was the stage all the way through. Like I said, I try not to watch. Last night I wasn't as fond of the large black and white images behind the RNC podium, because I thought it took away from being able to see the person who was speaking. I did think Laura Bush looked lovely in red, and behind her they had a giant, soft image of an American flag -- that was nice.

You see how much I pay attention to the content, though. Not much. The debates? I will watch. The tickets this year make the race really fascinating (I = Master of Obvious) and I want to hear what everyone has to say about how they will lead this country. Even the debates, though, can't be trusted. Politicians will SAY whatever they have to say; whether or not they follow through on "promises" is certainly a toss-up. I do hate all the meanness that comes with politics, though, and I wonder if we'll EVER move away from the either-or mentality of a two-party system.

BUT! I don't want to talk politics with my friends. It's impolite.

Speaking of impolite -- one of AJ's favorite stories lately is "Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby." We have it in an illustrated children's literature anthology, as well as a Little Golden Book handed down from DH's childhood collection. Do you read this story to your kids? It was a favorite of mine, too, when I was small. Of course there's the dialect. Brer Rabbit says to the Tar Baby: "Ain't you goin' to say 'Howdy?' Ain't you goin' to be PER-LITE?" And I read it in dialect because that's the way it's meant to be read -- it's part of our country's literary tradition. But it makes me feel a little funny. I worry that, in one edition, they repeat the phrase, "And the Tar Baby, he say nothin'," over and over again. AJ quoted it back to me yesterday. "Mommy, I like the part where the Tar Baby he say nothin'." Eeek. "He doesn't say anything, son. Anything." Just what I need is to raise a boy who thinks "ain't" really is a word. Maybe I'll suggest "Make Way For Ducklings" tonight instead.

And speaking of dialect! (Wow, the segues are just perfect this morning!) I heard a radio interview with someone from Montague, LA, where the reporter kept saying "Hurricane GOOSE-tahv," like we've all been saying. The Montague resident, however, said, "Gus-TAHV," with his French-Cajun accent. How I love that sound. It made me smile.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kids are so funny. This morning, my mom said, "dang," and of course M said "dang" with a big smile. I always try to say my "lays" and "lies" correctly in front of her, sure that she's absorbing every thing. But what would tar baby be without "aints" and "nuthins"?

Julie said...

I agree with you about watching the conventions,plus I get irritated and/or bored with all the other-party-bashing. But I am interested in the debates and might watch Sarah Palin tonight to see if she can keep my attention.

Anonymous said...

AJ likes "he say nothin'" because it's different from what he usually hears and it's funny. I don't think he's going to start talking that way. :-)

Mandy said...

I agree with what you said about the political stuff ... and I am one that has my mind firmly made up .. I get sick of all of the negative stuff form both sides. I wish they would stick the issues and how they will handle the issues.

I agree with ya-ya ma .. I bet AJ he wont start talking like that .. he's just repeating the book?? I think that is one of the great things about literature ... getting an "inside" view on different "cultures" ...either way that is great that you have stuff from DH's childhood, what a treasure for AJ!!!!

and I love hearing the Louisiana people talk too ... ;)

Madame Queen said...

We love and read the Brer Rabbit stories too and we read them in dialect. If nothing else it gives you the opportunity to have a "discussion" about grammar! and other things! :)