Wednesday, September 17

A meditative (?) $115

Thoughts during a haircut & color, Sept. 16, 2008:

Ahh, the Aveda store. Love this place. Love that they do my color in a more quiet area of the salon, so I can read. READING MY BOOK NOW! WOO! When do I ever get to read my book? Never, that's when! I am going to read it the entire time they slop bleachy-smelling stuff on my head.

Wow, that really smells bleachy. Ick. I do feel sort-of like a turkey being basted. Boy, it's hard to concentrate on this book. But isn't this a nice way to spend an hour? Hope Hubby's doing okay with the 2 kids. Hope AJ's eating his dinner. Surely he is. Pizza. Surely he'll eat pizza. Hope KT baby isn't really sick. It has to be teething, right? Her scratchy little voice has been so sad! Okay, okay... back to my book.

Glad I found a color I like. Too bad I don't love the stylist, but she's alright... I do wish they'd be quiet, though -- I've read this paragraph about 4 times...
"I was so horrified by the whale's deliberate charge that I could not move. Then my own name flew up from below like a spear: "Una!" Giles' voice broke my trance, and I scrambled down the rigging. No sooner did my foot touch the deck than there was such a lurch that I fell to my face. I heard and felt the boards break below the waterline, the copper sheathing nothing but decorative foil..." wait. What? "I heard and felt the boards break below the waterline, the copper sheathing nothing but decorative foil..." I wish THAT one with the dark hair was my stylist. She seems sweeter than K. And she isn't so full of herself.... Mmmm, they're talking about Cold Stone Creamery. Should I add something, participate in the conversation? Does it make me seem weird that I'd rather read? "I heard and felt the boards break below the waterline, the copper sheathing nothing but decorative foil..." Oh, that stylist's getting married in December. Then taking 2 weeks off. Lucky duck! Wish I had 2 weeks off. "...nothing but decorative foil..." This part is boring. When will she get off this boat and go back to her family??... Ooh, a Vertical Horizon song! Been ages since I heard this one...

oh, okay, here they come to rinse me. Yay, I love the rinse process. Yes, cover me up with that lovely, heavy velvet blanket, thank you! Divine. Water temp... perfect. Aveda shampoo? Smells good. Okay self, ennnjooyyy this moment alone... close your eyes, feeeeeel the soft blanke... Whoa! OW! Apprentice dude, not so ROUGH. Damn! ...You have a little more to learn, I guess! And quit talking, I'm trying to relax.... okay. Relax. I don't do this very often, and I deserrrrrrve this. Oh, yeah, massage time. I have a crick in my... OW! Dammit! That's entirely too hard. But of course I'm not going to say anything. Meek little el-e-e. I should tell him to ease up. He needs to learn. But no. I'll take it and keep quiet. Just hurry up to the warm towel wrap.... *eyebrows raised* Make that a HOT towel. Gees, ow! Okay, now go away for a minute.

Isn't it wonderful to enjoy this little tiny bit of pampering? ....We totally can't afford this pampering... shut up, self, enjoy it already; you work, you can pay for this... shouldn't be paying for this, isn't that what Clairol is for?... I definitely won't put it on the debit card. Credit. So glad we've paid some of our cards all the way off. I should cut them up. Wonder if credit will cease to exist due to this economic crisis we're in? Hmm. That could be bad.... don't want to think about that....

Time for my haircut. I guess I have to put down my book and talk to the stylist... Or, listen to HER talk....
"Mmm-hmmm." "Yeah, I totally agree..." "Oh, noooo, that's terrible..." (I care less and less about this conversation...) Okay shut up about your divorce, I GET IT. You can't afford your house now because you bought it on 2 incomes. I UNDERSTAND.... be kind, self, be a good listener... Sigh... somehow I think she's trying to get me to tip her real big because she KEEPS talking about how little money she makes. Way to be subtle, lady.... of course I never know what's the appropriate tip amount anyway... awkward! Does she remember what I tipped last time? Was it a lot, I don't remember. If so, did that set a precedent and now I have to tip her a lot every time? Hate this issue. Makes me uncomfortable.

And now this lady in front of me won't hurry up at the cash register. I'll just go over here and scope out the products some more... Did she just add a $30 tip?? She did. Well, great. I was going to tip $20. Is that too little? Does it depend on my total? I will NOT tip $30. That's too much. I appreciate your service, but it's your job. I refuse. ...No way, did I hear that right? ...$115 total? YIPES. I was only expecting about $80. Sigh. Forking over the card.
"Would you like to add anything to this, ma'am?" ...."$25.00" Super.

8 comments:

Swistle said...

Love this.

MaryB said...

How did you remember all this???

Your ability to remember your own thoughts is inhuman.

Loved it. But I don't like Aveda products. Does that make me weird?

Procrastamom said...

So, did the cut and colour turn out good? And what book were you reading?

Great post!

Julie said...

You captured the salon experience perfectly. Ummm...I will color and cut your hair for a $30 tip! Also? If I ever have money out the wazoo, I'm going to install one of those hair washing recliner seats and have someone wash my hair every day. What luxury!

Anonymous said...

This made me LOL. I have this same thoughtstream anytime I'm in a salon. I'm a firm believer that there should be a better way to do this... maybe if they could bill us so that the cost doesn't interrupt the relaxation? ;)

Glad you got some pampering in!

nicole said...

That was fun to read. I tip 20% when I get my hair done. Of course, I only get charged 55 for a cut and foil highlight, which is remarkably cheap I know. I love my hair person, and I read a lot when I'm getting my hair done.

Mandy said...

I love this post!! and for once I do not agree with maryb I LOVE aveda products!!

also, I HATE having to say OUT LOUD what the tip is ANYWHERE ... why cant they just print out the reciept and let us add it on ... then there is the whole issue if different people do different things to you for your appointment .. ugh

BUT, I want to see picutres of the cut and color!!!!!

Skiplovey said...

Too funny! I think I have this inner dialog ever time I go to the salon which, oh my, has been quite a while ago.