I keep searching online, wanting to know what people thought about the VP debate. I've read a few articles, blog posts. Probably what I really want to determine, though, is what *I* thought about the debate. It was historic for me, but only because I managed to watch the entire thing and not fall asleep (for longer than 5 minutes during the Sudan/Afghanistan part). Ha. Mostly I thought it was the same old typical political schlock, with a bit of "I'll charm 'em" talk thrown in from Palin, which is her deal. I didn't think either one of them said anything we hadn't heard before, and both of them likely spoke some untruths.
I found it funny the couple of times they "agreed" on something -- the gay marriage issue, when Ifill said "Good, you agree." and the sworn-to-silence audience couldn't help laughing. And then that they "both love Israel." Heh. And I liked when Biden said "I love him," referring to McCain. I, myself, loved Palin's suit and the highlights in her hair. And I hope no one will take that as me bashing her OR being a dumb-ass who is voting for or against gender alone. Because I'm not, I'm just observing.
(Here's stating the obvious:) If we could have Tivo'd it, watched about 10 minutes, and then rewound to start over, we would have made it a drinking game. Anytime Palin said the word, "Maverick..." or mispronounced "Nu-cue-lar..."
DRINK!
(What is it with that word, by the way?!? NUCLEAR. New-Clear. How hard is it? Aaaghggh.)
Anytime Biden started his answer with the word "Look," or added a superfluous "fundamental..."
DRINK!
It could go on and on and we'd all have been completely wasted by the end.
I thought the NBC commentator got it just right, though, that both of them exceeded expectations. Palin spoke to the people, as one of the (lowly) people, and that was what she needed to do, not let herself get ruffled as she has by the bright lights and fast-talking, hard-pressing media. And I actually think Biden did well on that front, too, aligning himself with regular people who've had hardship in their lives. I thought he was well spoken and I think others have said this, HE might appeal to more people as the Presidential nominee than smooth-talker Barack. (And I'm sorry, yes, he's a GOOD speaker, but he's also Reeeeel Smmoooth. Trained in speaking is what I mean.)
Anyway, I'm pretty much your classic swing-voter according to this, and although my mom and dad will cringe to hear it, I'm still not absolutely sure whom to vote for. I'm pretty sure, but not absolutely. I'm not convinced my vote will even matter in Georgia, although this year we might have a more interesting electorate than we usually do.
I don't know. I never know about politics. Moving on.
Since it's October, we finally opened the Halloween CD my Mom brought a couple of weeks ago, and AJ's taken it to school 2 days in a row (they listen to music while eating breakfast and at the end of the day). He LOVES the songs "Ghostbusters," and "I Want Candy," which are, of course, fun for us grownups too. And he LIKES, but gets SCARED, listening to the "Spooky Sounds" portion of the CD. It has tracks like "Evening in the Dark Forest," "Midnight at a Cemetery," and "Dr. Frankenstein's Laboratory," complete with creaky door effects, hooting owls, and faraway bell-tolling. Spooooooky. He wants me to play those tracks, but then 30 seconds into them, he says, "Turn it off, Mommy! I'm scared!" Hee hee hee. I think he really LIKES getting scared like that, you know, the thrill we all have about non-threatening scary things. :)
(Someone's going to see that last sentence as a subtle reference, since everyone's referring to either Palin or Obama as "scary" in the political rhetoric going around. But it was just coincidence that I wrote about both those things today... really.)
7 comments:
1. I find referring to someone as "sary" to be inflammatory rhetoric, and therefore, highly annoying. If Bin Laden runs for public office, then we can all call HIM scary, okay?
2. Pretty much... AMEN, SISTER!!!!
3. And, I am not a superficial, non-substantive person, but two things: 1. Her suit ROCKED the DAMN house! 2. I want Joe Biden's tie for Rich to wear to upconing wedding. I usually do not like blue ties. LOVED that one to the moon and back.
4. Halloween Cd?? who knew they made such things? See what happens when your kids become snarky, detention-getting teenagers? You just dont know about these cool, cute things anymo!
great post!!!!
you all know I am voting republican this november BUT OMG I could not take her saying "maverick" one more time!!
oh and I am intrigued (in a good way) that you are still undecided !!!!
speaking of Halloween does AJ know what is he going to be/did you get his costume yet??
and now I need go look and find Bidens tie (thanks maryb)
I think it's funny that everyone gets upset about the way she pronounces "nuclear" - because that's the way I pronounce it and most people I know! But we're Southern and she is most decidedly not - her accent really does grate on my nerves, honestly. :) You are subjected to my Twitter feed and know how I feel about her. But she did look very nice and her suit was lovely indeed.
It does feel so ADULT to actually WATCH the debate, doesn't it? I can remember my parents watching them and thinking "BORING!" Then my dad taped over one of my favorite movies with the debate with Ross Perot and I was very upset over it, I'm sure you understand.
Halloween CD? Too fun. I love "Monster Mash!" Hopefully that made the CD!
I love the drinking game idea. Wish I'd thought of that!
Another somewhat undecided here, so I love your debate commentary. I've taped it and only watched some of it, but I also noticed the suit -- loved it -- and got to see the wink -- equally endearing and annoying. Biden was a smooth talker, which was mostly impressive.
I'm another person who watched the debate and then thought "eh." There is so much political rhetoric floating around about all candidates that it's impossible to watch objectively.
It's nice to read about someone else who's not flaming angry and ready to donate blood to "their" side.
Oooo...a debate drinking game sounds like FUN! :)
Post a Comment