Friday, October 17

Sorry

I'm feeling bad for getting so potty mouthed emotional in my previous post, but you guys are great, making me feel better.

But I swear, sitting there, the tech handing me a paper with my numbers written on it (because of privacy, you know, she couldn't say them out loud).... it felt like getting back an important exam with a big fat (har) D- on the top.

And one thing I could never handle in school (and am not used to) was bad grades. I know I'm not in excellent shape, I've known I was a little overweight, and that I'm genetically predisposed... but I didn't think my actual health was in "danger" yet. And high numbers before 35 feels like danger.

Anyway, it's not as terrible as I'd made it out to be, I guess. My Mom suggested fish oil capsules, I'll eat some oatmeal, get exercising (I was going to have to re-figure that schedule, anyway, for work), and get better numbers next year.

4 comments:

Mandy said...

... I need to have all of that checked too ... and I have a bad feeling my numbers will not be great ..

Julie said...

It's okay...a little blog-blurting never hurt anybody! Anyway, it sounds like you've reached a healthy (haha) middle ground of eating and exercising to change those numbers. If it's any consolation, my home scale is always friendlier to me, too! :)

Anonymous said...

Wanted to chime in a little late. My BP was 120/90, and it's always low, low, low. I mean, two years ago it was something like 90/60. I told her I hadn't slept much the previous night and she said that would do it. So, yeah, I think my BP is going up, but I also think if I tested it today it wouldn't be so high. Also, I thought I would point out that back when I was ... okay I'll just say it ... anorexic and exercising more than two hours a day ... my cholesterol was over 200. I discovered later that anorexia can cause high cholesterol, along with some birth control pills, I was told. I know the numbers matter -- they've done enough studies to prove it, I guess. But they certainly don't seem to tell the whole story!

nicole said...

Just wanted to say don't go overboard in denying yourself the things you like. I've been better able to resist/eat less if I gave myself permission to indulge a little. Sometimes just saying you can eat something if you want it takes away the urge. Exercise more and eat what you want--that is what works for me, although I have no idea what my numbers are.

You've already started good habits, don't make yourself crazy. :)