Tuesday, November 11

Others

So I see everyone's getting in on the gratitude deal! (Not that I invented it or anything. I haven't even done it in forever.) It's a good economy for counting your blessings. I've been feeling better about things the last couple of days, and trying to be more grateful, too.

I have also been considering, in a very self-help-book kind of way, that to focus on OTHERS rather than oneself is probably a good way to get out of the self-centered funk. Another reason I've felt like blogging is too much for me at the moment -- it's keeping me too focused on ME (hello, self!). Been trying to think more of the kids, my family, and each person I see. Fellow journey-ers, all in this together, that kind of schlock thing.

So I'm glad my office is going to spearhead some social activism after all these years. I'm eager to get involved but I'm one of those terrible people who needs someone else to organize it for me. Tell me when and where, and I'll (try to) show up. Ask me to initiate the service project? You might have to wait a long time. So anyway, we're doing a food drive which is awesome. :) I'm glad to go shopping and buy some "most needed" Mac and cheese dinners. And I hope we can help with a Habitat House or something hands-on, too. They were even talking about taking a half-day to do such things sometimes, as a group. It'll be interesting (read: surprising) to see if the corporate higher-ups approve that.

We're also doing Operation Christmas Child for PSR/Sunday School. One year I was lucky enough to join a friend (an Organizer) at one of the warehouses/drop-off locations. It's an enormous charity effort, and we volunteered for a shift of sorting the boxes, stacking, I don't remember now what-all. But I was glad I did it (glad my friend planned it!). Such fun to see the inner workings of an animal that large! I enjoy putting together the shoebox gifts, and AJ seems excited about it, too, which is good -- it balances out the fact that we had him make out his own Christmas wish list tonight. Y'know, to "practice" for writing a letter to Santa. Hee. What can I say, we're victims of early holiday marketing. Victims!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Our Sunday school class always adopts a family. Emily really gets in to shopping for other children. It thrills me to see her attention turned to others in need. She's already talking about giving away the toys she's not playing with anymore before Christmas. Of course, it's taken several years of guided effort to get to this point. Worth it, though.