Friday, January 23

Coming up for air

Hey, I have got a workout tip for you. It's for your upper arms and back. Carry around a 20-lb. bag of potatoes (or a small child if you have one) for a day or two, while you're making your coffee, talking on the phone, sleeping, working at the laptop, and going to the bathroom. Don't try to put it/him/her down -- ohhhh, no. That would seriously lessen the effects. GOOD SORE!

(Privilege. Privilege, I keep reminding myself.)

I'm in the office today and DH is at home with KT baby, who was still sporting a 101.5 fever all of yesterday and most of last night, and therefore is going back to the pediatrician for a third time this week, today. When I left the house, her fever was down THANK GOD, but in general it has not responded to Infant Tylenol every four hours religiously. Which is obvs why she's so tired and won't be put down. She's drugged! And also pneumonia-y! You know how your chest and sides start to hurt after you've had bronchitis or something? I bet hers is hurting like that.

Aaaanyway, that's been our week. We're severely draining our Paid Leave days, even though I was attempting to work from home (ha, ha). And if you've seen me on Facebook you already know that today AJ is coughing. I betcha 10 dollars they call me to come pick him up for fever today. Truly. I've got my money right here.

It's good (I guess?) to be at the office, and not staring at a sleeping child whose breathing is fast and labored, and whose little heart is racing. Because when I'm there, my mind wanders to places it shouldn't, like what if this is it? Even though I know that pneumonia is common and of course she'll get over it.

It's just crazy time I guess! Lots going on in and around me, and lots going on this weekend, including Open House for New Kindergarten and 2 birthday celebrations and an entire day of babysitter for the kids. AND we need to start planning the February trip to Disney. Most of the planning's done, thanks to my parents, actually. But we have to start preparing MENTALLY for the 8-hour driveOMG, then 4 days with Mickey AND all the grandparents. Hello, overstimulated kids!

I am so good at being stressy. It's a gift, really. But I'm grateful:

-- That my kids are in general, healthy, and that I don't have to sit and stare at pitiful little bodies very often.
-- For chick flicks that kept my mind somewhat occupied during my sick days at home (The Holiday and Erin Brokovich).
-- For my husband, whose one and only 40th birthday was preempted, for the most part.
-- For AJ behaving SO WELL this week and really understanding that his sister is sick and needs him to be calm and quiet.
-- For understanding bosses and kind co-workers. One of mine even brought me a bottle of juice today, because it was Publix's 1-cent sale item yesterday and she thought the kids would like it.

7 comments:

Christina Schmidt said...

I think you commented on this a while back but we are going to Disney in t minus 12 days with an almost 4 year old and 6 month old. I am SCARED! I know it will be okay. Unfortunately our trips won't overlap... Have fun though - we did it last year too and Matthew LOVED it!

Mandy said...

.... I was reading your post with a smile on my face .. how you make the best of everything is something I heart about you ..

and that is awesome about the juice ... :)

Tess said...

I LOVE The Holiday. It is SICK how much I love that movie.

juliloquy said...

I'm so sorry about the sick kid(s) and schedule-juggling. I'm familiar with the clingy-kid workout, but pneumonia is scary-sounding. Take care, little one (and all of you).

Julie said...

So sorry KT is sick and hoping it doesn't get passed around. Your trip sounds like fun!

nicole said...

How is everyone today? I hope better. What a kind coworker--juice for the kids is so nice!

I gave you an award. I hope this week is a million times better than last.

Anonymous said...

I am also excellent at the stressing. I never counted it as a talent before, but now I think I'm going to tack it onto my list of accomplishments!