Tuesday, January 27

Middle School Band AND Drama Club

Thanks to everyone for the prayers and good thoughts. I think we're officially off the disabled list. KT's fever finally left us when she got a good antibiotic, and AJ's cough hasn't worsened except when he runs around too enthusiastically. Which is always.

We had a busy weekend, including a visit to our parish school for Open House, a time of great anticipation and excitement. And it turns out, also a time of great worry and woe. You see, there are very few slots for new students, even Kindergarten students, when a school is as small as this school. 54 Kindergarten seats, and it's likely that half of them are filled with siblings of older kids who obviously take priority. I was told that there are no less than four sets of twins coming in to Kindergarten. Thanks for THAT discouraging tidbit, PTA President! And why must schools call PTA something other than PTA?? Is this just me? "Home and School Association" is too fussy. Call it PTA like people have done for thousands of years. Grr.

I'm acting annoyed, but we actually DO want to get into this school. I'm hoping our status as semi-active parishoners who contribute (a tiny amount) to the weekly church offering and volunteer a (tiny) bit will help us, but one never knows.

The Open House presentation was... hilarious. First, while people were gathering, the middle school pep band played "background music." And by that I mean "LOUD, DRUM-HEAVY, CAN'T-THINK music." It was a non-descript collection of instruments, too: I don't know when I've seen a band that included electric keyboard, french horns, lots of flutes, natch, AND one lonely violin. The conductor played her own flute, too, which I thought was... weird. As my Dad would say, they were perfectly terrible! Heh. And loud. Did I say loud? After we all sat down, began with a prayer, and were introduced to the principal, she... Introduced the Band! Again! So they could play us a few numbers! Eight, to be exact. It went on and on, and all in the key of G.

So we're definitely going to have a musical component to AJ's education if he gets in, no worries there (well, maybe a few worries). But wait, did I say "musical?" We also saw 2 numbers from the middle school Drama Club!

Between those stirring performances, we heard from the Home and School Association co-prezes, and a couple of darling 8th-graders, how wonderful the school is. We believe them. After all, in the primary grades they teach the basics, and in middle school, the students begin to USE those basics for "more advanced problem solving." REALLY? That's how school works? Tell me something I don't know. Sigh. I don't mean to be catty. Like I said, I really do hope we get in. I have to assume no one there reads this blog. GAH!
I gotta go.

4 comments:

MaryB said...

Am i allowed to comment on this?

Ha ha ha ha - you KNOW I would totally agree with you on most of this!

Oh, but the PTA thing - It really might not BE a PTA...things have changed....A home a school association really is diff from a PTA

Our band sounds WAY better than that - you should move here and go to our school. And, open house is yummy food, tours, and mingling...MUCH bettter than formal "presentations".

Mostly, i just hope you get in. there is exactly ONE spot open for a kindergartener at our school for next year. Im assuming its mine for the takin (although Im prob not taking) but who knows! you just gotta get that first sibling in and thenyou will be golden!

Mandy said...

I will admit that I know nothing about how schools work but I agree call it a PTA .. sorry maryb;)

I hope AJ gets in and its all ok ... I am putting our packet in the mail tomorrow for Collin ... should we all say a rosary now???

Leandra said...

Frankly, the whole band thing sounds like TOR.TURE. I think you definitely earned some Mommy-cred points for sitting through that!

Love the new site design!

nicole said...

Pretty new look!

I hope the school thing works out. Those kinds of stresses make public school not so bad, at least temporarily.