Monday, January 12

Mom, Pop, and the neighborhood

Teh weekend. Gone again. It seemed busy, but we still managed to laze around in our jammies quite a bit somehow. (AJ's making a habit of it, actually, which I think can't be good. I need to figure out how to motivate him to get dressed. By himself would be a bonus; just dressed would be a good first goal.)

One thing we did was take our car up to a mom-and-pop place that was recommended to us, to get the brakes looked at. The dealer had told me at my last oil change that all the brakes were DANGEROUSLY close to being metal on metal and we'd "better get them replaced ASAP or risk an even higher charge than $400-some-odd dollars" OMG. So Mom-and-Pop, located in a darling little historic Town right next to the train tracks, quoted us "$120 and the back brakes are fine," and we are right pleased with that edit. We're taking it back next week after they get the parts. The customer waiting area was, you know, green linoleum and dark wood-paneled, and smelled of new tires, decades-old cigarette smoke and something else - PineSol, maybe? You know that smell? Even AJ knew it "smelled old." Established 1966, to be exact. I loved being there. Reminded me of somewhere from my childhood, but I couldn't put my finger on exactly where. Just being in those kinds of places with my Dad, I guess, on Saturday mornings. Made me really, REALLY happy to give them my business instead of Giant Shiny Toyota Dealer. (Much as I like our dealership.)

We also got haircuts at a brand-new salon opened by three of our friends who have just left GreatClips to go into business for themselves. I say "friends" but we only know them through GreatClips -- however, they've cut AJ's hair since he was a tiny wailing 1-year-old, so they're like family you know? Anyway, I am super hopeful for them and want to help in some way, to tell everyone I know to head (HAR) over there for a cut and color. For some reason I just want that little business to thrive. I thought about purchasing an ad for them in my church's bulletin, since the church is located nearby. Surely they could gain a customer or two from that, right?

I likely won't do it, but I guess it's the economy making me feel like I want to buy local, support the community, and all of that. One of the stylists even offered for her oldest daughter to babysit my kids if I ever need it. I wouldn't have thought the suburbs would actually FEEL like a community, but we've been there nearly 7 years now, and lo and behold, it does. I'm liking that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

as a small business owner myself, i always try to support others who are pursuing the "great american dream" as well. kudos to you for posting about this. best wishes for your friends ... happy clipping!

Anonymous said...

I like supporting the little guy, too. We adore our mechanic and totally trust him. And I like how whenever I go there, they know exactly who I am.

nicole said...

Yea for checking out the local place and getting a good deal. I love the shop we use here--so honest and always do a good job. They never took advantage of me when I was just a silly college girl who knew very little about her car.

Hope the hair salon works. Spread the word.

Unknown said...

Very cool indeed!!!! Glad you posted this as well!

el-e-e said...

Hi, Amy! If you're interested, the salon is "Salon DeLaJe" (I'm not enamored of the name but still) located on Hwy Old 41. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

salon delaje great salon everyone is friendly .i know they are going to do great.salon delaje spread the word for them