So far my favorite health kick food this time has been Green Peas.
You: Wha...huh?
Green peas, you know? The ones you buy frozen for when you get a boo-boo and don't have an ice pack? Those ones. I recently rediscovered them and have been easily adding a veg serving to my lunch with a quick half-cup of those babies, microwaved for about 45 seconds. They are awesome. You could dash 'em with a little salt and pepper, but why? They're perfect AS IS. ...Anyone? Am I crazy?
I also adore canned early peas -- my mother says I even liked them as baby food, pureed. But cans are less convenient at the office, so I've bought a 2-lb bag of the frozens to keep in the office fridge (freezer). Held together with a binder clip, no less.
I have a recipe for pea salad, though it's not an exact recipe. Just throw stuff together in a bowl and mix.
cup or so of green peas (either variety, canned or froz)
cup or so of yellow corn (again, choose your delivery vehicle)
handful of shredded cheddar (or more if you're feeling naughty)
chopped or diced ham for protein, if desired
1/4 cup (?) or so of light mayo (eliminate if you're dieting like me)
couple of tablespoons of sweet relish (yes, really!)
Serve chilled. ZOMG, I could eat barrels of this stuff. Mom used to make it. Hope she'll chime in with a comment, if I forgot any important details.
4 comments:
This is one of my favorite salads! I think I've had it with bacon instead of ham. I keep a bag of frozen edamame at home and at the office...now that's good snackin'!
I made pea salad just last week! I omitted the cheese but added chopped hard-boiled egg. Somehow that made me feel a little more virtuous. I can't bear to omit the mayo, so there goes my attempt at being virtuous. I don't usually include corn or ham, but those sound like great additions (and I also like corn salad, sort of similar), as does bacon!
Your letter is 'J.'
Thanks for playing.
Peas are my go-to for every meal. I'll put peas in everything. It's colorful, it's a vegetable, it's not fattening!
Peas and rice is a particular fave.
Post a Comment