Friday, March 6

A drink

Tell me something: It's okay to sit down on a Friday night, after the kids have gone to bed, and your husband scored 2 tickets to the hockey game last-minute and went with the neighbor-husband... it's okay at that point to sit down with your friend Google Reader, and your glass of wine, right? Even if it's a BIG glass of wine? Even if nothing's bothering you and you have no trouble going to sleep anyway, you just like the taste of wine? (You, like, have been WANTING this glass of quiet wine and teh blawgs - especially teh blawgs - for a couple of weeks now?)

That's okay, right? That's not a sign of impending doom slash alcoholism?
I mean, I seriously KNOW that it isn't, but... it isn't, right?

Every time I think of doing it (and tonight, actually doing it), I start to wonder. Drinking all by myself.... hmm. Kinda stupid to wonder, but I do.

7 comments:

Christina Schmidt said...

I would do it if I could (still nursing the wee baby!)

Anonymous said...

I demand you cease being silly this instant. If you drank the whole bottle, you wouldn't be an alcoholic because you wouldn't do it again tomorrow!

Every now and again we are permitted excesses, even if we're on our own when we have them.

xoxoxo

Krissy

Tess said...

HUH? I never understood that whole "drinking alone is weird" thing. To me, if you ONLY drink around other people, THAT is weird. That's a symptom of some kind of social anxiety drinking, as opposed to just enjoying it for what it is.

Morgan S. said...

My husband is away on a business trip for 5 nights and EVERY night I dream of that brief hour between when the two little ones going to sleep and I crash into my own bed at 9:00 p.m. That precious hour where the house is quiet, the laptop is on and my glass is full of some tasty vino.

Lee said...

I agree! I mean, I totally KNOW it is normal and good! But every. time. the thought crosses my mind. WHY?? no idea.

Swistle said...

I'm so glad I read the comments first, because I would have wasted time composing what Tess already said. I think the "drinking alone = danger" thing is...odd. We don't say that about COFFEE, for example.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely not! I keep meaning to journey out to a liquor store to pick up some wine (none in our new county, boo!) but in the meantime, I do have a stash of some delicious beer that I can partake in, when I get a hankerin'. It's only a problem when you do it every single night, perhaps, with several several glasses.