Friday, June 19

Hot by thirty-five?

So. I have made it to (almost) Beach Week. I have also recently made it to age 35. Back in February or so, I declared I was going on a diet, and would BE at goal weight by these two milestones.

Well... I'm not.

I'm not too far off, but in the last month I just gave out. Not that I was so exhausted from only eating broiled fish and almonds, by any means, but I quit measuring and Fit-Day-ing... and exercising. I told you my company has this cool program where anyone could do a walking video from 11:30 - 12, right? And I had been doing that, but then we had our national sales meeting and so the walking room became, instead, a conference room for a week, and that was the end of that.

So anyway. Did you know my company also makes swimwear? I just scored a free bathing suit, in fact. It looks... okay. I'm not exactly svelte but I just read something at Some Pig --which I have not been reading very faithfully because I don't think it had an RSS feed! But now it does, and praise heaven! I love Caroline's style!!-- Click over. I think it sums up my feelings at this moment.

I'm fine. I have the perspective of a 35-year-old, and it tells me that a glass of wine or a chips and fresh salsa snack are not forever verboten. If I don't look like a bronzed, taut teenager this year at the beach, it's because I AM NOT A TEENAGER. There's still the little matter of getting my BMI into the "healthy" range and I'm determined to do that. I want to retest my cholesterol and see if it's improved any. We'll tackle those after we get back.

But for this week? I'm good. I'll definitely be hot... temps are in the 90s and that sand reflects the sun, after all. Pass the chilled vino and the crab dip.

4 comments:

Jenna said...

I'm right there with you! I am 32 and I think this is the first year where I finally resigned myself to the fact that I'm not 18...or 21. I'm a mom in my 30s who is doing the best I can with the body I've been given. Then again though, I feel I can always stand to lose 5-10 pounds. (currently 10 since I've been on an eating binge in June that started w/ vacation and didn't stop when I got home...ouch!)

BTW, I completely agree w/ your comment about being able to run errands and SHOP at lunch. I would say I shop for clothes about once a month and it is great to not have a child to chase after. It's a nice perk of being a working mom, for sure!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you! I keep staring at pictures of myself at 18, wondering why I didn't take more advantage of that body, but the thing is... I'm seven years, one baby and a c-section past that body. I need to redefine what looks good for THIS age, not that.

(Don't get me started on my friend who can still wear her senior-year jeans after two kids. She's not human).

Drink the wine. Enjoy the beach - you deserve it!

nicole said...

I hope your vacation is fabulous! Focus on the positive changes you've made, and less on a number or size. That's what I'm working on. :)

Anonymous said...

That's the ticket! You rock!

And you know I speak from a many-years-of-therapy-and-I'm-still-screwed-up-but-at-least-I-accept-my-bod-for-the-most-part kind of place! :) :)