Yatt is moving!! Not out of town, but we're re-org'ing the office layout and she and her team are being shifted way out of earshot. There goes my entertaining blog fodder! But I can stop being so mean, which is probably a good thing. Anyway, I'll try to store up some good tidbits this week and then we will officially close this delightful story arc.
No, what I really want to talk about today is Age Four. Four is trying to kill me dead, with one re-usable phrase, and one alone:
"Make my happy face come baaaack!"
It's all my fault, too. I... maybe during one of AJ's early four-year-old tantrums, I was feeling bold and asked him, "Aww, buddy, where did your happy face go?" To try to get him out of his funk.
EPIC BACKFIRE. EP-IC. Now he turns that damn phrase back on me every time he feels the least bit dissatisfied. What he wants, usually, is for me to "fix it" by telling him a knock-knock joke. Because I tried THAT one time, too. Always with the deflecting techniques. Perhaps I should immediately say TIME OUT. I can be a real idiot, I guess. But I swear to pants, when he is pitching a fit and screaming/whining to "please tellllll me a joke or sumthin'! PLEEEEEASE MOMMY..." the very LAST thing I feel like doing is telling jokes. Rrrrrr! I've tried to explain to him that he is responsible for his own attitude, not me, but he doesn't get it. I've tried to ignore him. I've tried Time Out. (Time Out is, lately, actually the only threat that gets his attention.) I just... sigh. I am really tired of hearing "Make My Happy Face Come Back." I feel like it's one of those ultimate manipulative things kids do. He's the one pitching the fit, and I'm the one getting blamed for making his face go sad. GAH. Did your rotten four-year-olds ... I mean, darling cherubs ... ever pull this crap on you?
5 comments:
Four was usually an okay age for us. Three and five are our challenging ages. You should tell him only he can make his happy face come back. Thankfully, my kids have always taken their sulking/unhappiness to another room or done it quietly, so I don't have much to offer.
ugh.. I got nothing, except a countdown to 5 going on like some miracle is going to happen on that day and Collin will suddenly a mature young man!! I need to keep reminding myself is is four and just a little kid!!
but seriously, "make my happy face come back" .. is cute:)
UGH. Mandy, it is so NOT cute after the four-hundredth time.
yep I know what you mean!!! right now its the singing/humming of the popeye song from the moment Collin wakes up till about 5 mins after he falls asleep ... the pipe sound and everything .. in that high pitched,little kid sound ...NOT CUTE!
Yay for Yatt moving! That's more than a little thing!
Post a Comment