Wednesday, August 26

Hey. Quick Takes.


More than a week since I last posted, I see -- that may be a first. I just haven't felt like writing anything all week. Here are some of the things I've been doing instead:

1. Finishing Twilight/New Moon and going to Book Club. Easily the highlight of my week was spending time with my girlfriends 'til 10:00 pm on a Tuesday. We ate mushroom ravioli (just like Bella!), drank wine, and celebrated this silly but somehow compelling YA series. My one friend has started reading blogs because of it (Stephanie Meyer's blog, specifically) and is an uber-fan of the story, with all kinds of trivia about the author, the actors, the town of Forks, etc. Hilarious. We didn't come to any grand conclusions about symbolism or character development or anything. In fact we spent most of the time being told that we HAVE to read all four of the books, and that the first three are NOTHING compared to the fourth. (And the fifth, which I will be indulging in SOON!) Myself, I find the details of the vampires' lives fascinating, and I think Meyer's a BUSINESS GENIUS for capitalizing in such a unique way on the "green/vegetarian" topic. I don't know if she meant to do that, but color me impressed.

2. Not getting my lunchtime errands done. I did, however, meet DH for lunch one day this week (Chicago hot dogs!) and that was lovely. Even time together not talking all that much, is nice. I wonder, how do you guys who are parents EVER talk to one another? Because we are faithful to having dinner as a family every night, but believe me, there is no opportunity for grown-up conversation during dinner. It's all, "No, no, KT, not in your hair..." "Mommy? Mommy? Can I ask a question??" "LALALALALALALAI havetogopotty..." "AJ stop playing and EAT," around our table.

3. Trying to get my work done at the office amid countless interruptions. I love how every project but the ones on MY list this week was deemed a priority (by other people). However, I did attend a training class, and now I can fit you for a bra or a breast prosthesis. So my job still remains somewhat cool. I guess. I'm not really enamored of it this week, though, in case you can't tell. Been feeling a little down about it, to be perfectly honest. But haven't wanted to talk about it.

4. Pulled a Classic American Mom by going through the Krystal drive-through for last night's dinner -- because AJ had a 6:00 pm T-ball practice! I am giggling about it because that very act has been touted as WHAT'S MAKING OUR KIDS FAT and such a terrrrrrrible thing to do. Oh well. I don't feel bad about it.

5. Trying to find baseball pants in an extra-small. I don't think they exist.

6. Signing up to volunteer at AJ's school. And learning it's hard to volunteer much with a full-time job (see #3 above). I was asked to donate "sternos" for the first Teacher Appreciation lunch. I had no idea what a sterno was. Now I know.

7. Really wanting to clean out/rotate kid clothes, as well as get rid of some. Ooh, I might have just had a brilliant idea -- perhaps I'll do a Hand-Me-Downs Giveaway here on the ol' blog! Because I mean, everyone likes hand-me-downs, right? I have clothes for lots of different sizes in boy or girl. We have saved a lot of them, hoping for nieces or nephews, but no luck so far and although our basement is large... I'm ready to clean it out a bit. So. Will think about that.

Happy Friday, kittens! Enjoy the weekend and more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.

7 comments:

Emily said...

I know what you mean about the family dinners! I always try to ask my husband about his day, but somehow we always end up singing the Itsy Bitsy Spider song or talking about princesses or something like that. He and I talk once the girls are in bed. As for all the piled up, outgrown, being-saved-for-some-reason clothes in our house, don't get me started! A giveaway is a good idea.

Great quick takes!

Julie said...

Um...what's a sterno? I haven't had much to say this week either. Or maybe I should say that I haven't had much to say that could be printed on a blog! I saw a piece of flair on facebook this week (three guesses as to what I've been spending my time doing) that said "Today's forecast - Partially moody with a chance of I don't like you." It's my current favorite.

Chelsea said...

The first Twilight book was my favorite. I just loved meeting the characters!!

Don't feel bad about giving your kids fast food. An occasional fast food meal isn't bad. Sometimes it's necessary in order to keep your sanity and get to the right places at the right times!

The idea of baseball pants in extra small makes me excited. How cute!

Swistle said...

I want AND don't want to read Twilight. I'm worried I'll be one of the Disappointed Ones! I think I'll read it on my next flight to see my niece!

nicole said...

We have some XXS baseball pants, I think. But we're saving them for siblings. We got ours at a local sports store, not a chain.

I read Midnight Sun online. Very interesting to get Edward's perspective. I enjoyed all the books for what they were--indulgent fantasy with a sweet love story. People can easily make too much out of it, both positively and negatively.

We talk at dinner some, but it focuses on the kids most of the time. We try to talk for about 10 minutes when Husband first gets home; we don't let the kids in the room! Helps Husband mentally switch gears to family time and gives me a bit of a break.

Happy weekend!

Lee said...

Interesting idea, nicole!

Madame Queen said...

OMG, your dinner conversation sounds JUST LIKE ours. My husband often laments that he gets so tired of barking commands all the time.

We've done lunch together a couple of times, but we need to do it more often. You've inspired me!

You might try some of the small t-ball pants just in case. Some of them run pretty small. We tried the small on Bubba back in the spring and we couldn't even get them buttoned!