Thursday, August 20

[not really worth publishing]

Ugh, I was in a bad mood yesterday. I was starting to feel my annual October Overwhelm-ed-ness, for one thing, and for another, I simply could NOT FOCUS on work. I swear: social media, which is part of my paid job to monitor, is going to be the death of me. Some days my attention span is next to nil. Not good when one is also supposed to be a writer. I flit from one screen to the next. Email -- and Yahoo mail, I swear to crackers I am SO OVER YOU for being so s l o w w w w -- Twitter, Google Reader! Google Reader! Google Reader again! I'm addicted to all your blogs, you can be sure of that. :)

Anyway, I think I am on a fast from Facebook and GR during work hours, for a while. And I'm turning off email notifications. I swear, when that little email flag pops up in the lower left-hand corner, it totally derails me. Am I the only one? So you see, I have to be going now.

5 comments:

LL said...

I need to make this vow. I swear that sometimes when I'm actually being productive and in a groove (a rare and beautiful thing) I will actively stop myself just to check facebook or gmail. JUST BECAUSE. Even though I know it will derail me and waste time I don't have. It's some sort of compulsion that needs to be cured. Good luck in your question to be internet-distraction free!

sdw said...

Yes, working in this new office every day (have I told you -- no more working at home after Oct. 1) and having my computer screen visible by a co-worker inches behind me is probably going to do wonders for my productivity. In fact, have to go NOW.

Julie said...

I, too, am easily distracted by fb and blogs. Some days I have to set a goal - finish this project and then check fb/blog. Some days that works and some days it doesn't! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Oh, the pop-up email is the death of me daily. Hope that you can overcome it... and once you do, let me know how, okay? Turning the notification off makes me hugely nervous. :)

Madame Queen said...

No! You are not the only one. My goal for next week is to not get on the internet at all during the day! It is DEATH to my productivity.

(Let's see how long I can keep it up!)