Kindergarten Orientation went so well yesterday. My parents are here to babysit during this week, since school doesn’t start until Thursday, so they went with us to school and I’m so glad they got to see it, and meet the people who’ll be shaping AJ’s little heart and mind for the next year! I’m pretty giddy over the whole thing and it just confirms the fact that I loved school myself. Loved!
Anyway, yesterday we checked in, were warmly greeted with a gift bag, then first-thing signed up for the Extended Care Program (morning and after-care) – one part of New School about which I’ve fretted because it’s been a huge “unknown.” The coordinator was extremely kind and really put me at ease. Not to mention, the line for ECP was the longest in the whole cafeteria, so it isn’t like AJ’s going to be lonely, an After School Special of “without-his-mommy-sadness” and a soft spotlight, for all to pity. Heh. I think he’s going to have fun with Mrs. L. They do homework, play in the gym, and have to be personally checked in and out, which means I’ll get to park and go in. Score.
After that we bought some school spirit items – a T-shirt so AJ can wear jeans on special “spirit-days,” if he also remembers 50 cents and a canned food item to donate, and a metallic decal for my car-line-ready Highlander! Eeee! Logo items! (Blue and gold, naturally. In my old job we always laughed at blue and gold. EVERY school’s colors are blue and gold.) Our car-line number is 170.
We got our Publix “1%” keychain cards and learned about Box Tops for Education, and the annual magazine drive – the same company my high school used of course, and GAG ME how I hated the magazine drive. Bleh. I wish they’d choose a different fundraiser, seriously. I’d prefer Sally Foster to magazines. Oh well. If that’s the low point, I guess that’s pretty good.
Then we went to the classroom. There were reams of copy paper and tubs of baby wipes lined up. Paper towels stacked to the ceiling! And DESKS. Each kid has been assigned a seat with a name card already taped to the top. We put crayons and glue inside the little cubby under the desk – AJ was so eager to do so, he heaved our reams of copy paper out of the bag himself. Heavy reams! His adrenaline must have been surging.
Mrs. C. tried to talk to him a little bit – she has a slightly annoying, but sort-of cute, habit of tacking “Baby” on as her nickname of choice – “Did you go swimming this summer, Baby?” (I had a 4th-grade teacher who always said, “Darlin’;” I was annoyed by that, too.) But I think she’s great and was actually hoping we’d be assigned to her classroom. AJ was visibly nervous, singing to himself and kind-of jumpy and giggly, and wouldn’t really answer her questions, but that’s okay. Who wouldn’t be nervous, right? I didn’t push him (much)... and I can just feel those butterflies in his tummy. I will all week, I’m sure.
Last night, I laid down with AJ before he went to sleep and told him how much fun I’d had with him at school. I told him I was “jumping up and down on the inside, I was so excited.” He asked me, “Are you One Hundred… Thousand… percent excited?” And I gave an emphatic, “YES. Are you?” He nodded and squirmed into his pillow.
Two days left to wait.
5 comments:
Aww, this post made me tear up! You guys are so cute with your school-readiness. I am so glad that he's so excited - and that you are too. He'll have a GREAT time, I'm sure, since you have such a great attitude about it all!
And his school sounds fantastic - very organized and prepared. SO fun!
My high school's colors were blue and gold! Ha!
What an exciting day y'all had. I can't wait to see the first day of school picture (there will be one, right?)!
If there is not a first day picture I will never ever read your blog, nor ever speak to you again.
period.
the end.
just sayin.
That is too much -- "100 - 1,000 percent excited." That is just awesome.
Yay! His school sounds awesome. And I laughed out loud at the After School Special reference!
Post a Comment