Tuesday, August 18

Lunchbox Lady

I've discovered an inexplicable love of making lunch for AJ, for Kindergarten. Something about the challenge of making it healthy, but fun, I guess. Or getting it all to fit into the lunchbox. Or maybe it's HIS enthusiasm. He always wants to unzip it and peek before we leave for school, and I get a little rush when he comments, "Cool!" I think the MULTITUDE of convenience foods makes it easier, and more fun, than generations before us, if you don't get fussy about processed foods (which I don't). The first day I worried a little about sending him with a (pizza) Lunchable, but when I learned 2 other kids brought Lunchables that day, too, I felt better. (WHY?? Stupid, inborn mom-competitiveness.) They're one of the few "entree" options he'll eat:
  • peanut butter sandwiches (homemade)

  • peanut butter sandwiches (Smuckers Uncrustables)

  • Lunchables (only the pizza flavors)

  • Ravioli (in this cool Thermos)

  • turkey on bread, no mayo (haven't tried this yet but he claims he'll eat it)

  • cubed ham

Equally fun are the side items. I bought a big variety bag of the Frito-Lay chips, and I can't wait 'til it's finished so I can buy a box of individual serv Cheeze-Its. Or pretzels. There's just so much to choose from. Today he has Jell-o. And he's trying a Hershey's Chocolate Milk box. (We'll see - I'm skeptical.)

The school requires a "healthy afternoon snack and a water bottle," as well. It's IN THE HANDBOOK: "fruit, or crackers and cheese." WELL, I must be a rebel because today I sent him with Teddy Grahams for snack. Ooooooooh.

My Mom assures me that my enthusiasm WILL wear off and packing lunch has the potential to be the bane of my existence. We shall see.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, FUN! I loved doing this for Maddie when she was just starting to eat "real" food: I'd pack her a little lunch for her dayhome, and I loved it. Eventually her provider told me I didn't have to, but I totally get the fun of it. That will be a big highlight when she's in school, I'm sure! :)

MaryB said...

Mother effing bane of my existence!

Does he like bananas? tortillasmeared w/ peanur butter with a banana rolled up inside was a kinder fav here. also, we do "snack lunches" ya know? no real entree so to speak. Just a good collection of relatively healthy, filling snacks. cheese and crackers, or peanut butter and crackers.pretzels with a baggie of grapes or a mini-gladware of berries or melon.

Invest in the mini-gladware! you will use them for SO much!

I could write a whole series of blog posts about shool lunches...ya know. if i ever actually WROTE on the blog...ha ha ha

Lee said...

LOL! Love it, MB! Great ideas!

Lindsay said...

This morning I was making my lunch for work and thinking about how my mom made lunches for four kids and HOW DID SHE DO IT? because when I did the math 10 years of student lunches is like 2000 per kid. Soo it's awesome you have fun at it cause mon dieu that is a lot. :)