It was so lovely to have the week off before Christmas. Typically I like to take this week in-between, like most people do, but this way worked out very well. I’m not even too sad to be here in the office this week, because Monday and Friday were/are holidays, and a lot of coworkers are out, so it’s not stressful. Yesterday our daycare was closed in the morning, unexpectedly, so I went to the office to grab my laptop (with the two kids in tow), exchanged “How were your Christmases?” with two work buddies, and worked from home until 1:00. Obviously I babysat the kids with their new DVDs – first The Princess and the Frog, and then Alice in Wonderland (the original cartoon), and it was nice to have that extra half-day with them. We made popcorn.
I couldn’t resist watching the P and the F’s final half-hour, and I must say I loved the whole movie. I thought they did New Orleans perfectly, and the cast was amazing. I made the kids sit through all the credits to see the cast list, because I thought surely there would be some surprise A-listers on it. But not really! Most were people I hadn’t heard of. One of my absolute favorite things to do, movie-wise, is to figure out who voices the animated characters just by listening. Do you do that? The first time I saw Cars, I spent the entire movie trying to place the voice of the female Porche, Sally. Bonnie Hunt!! I had a hard time with that one but enjoyed the challenge. Anyway, in the P and the F I immediately loved John Goodman’s role, and Oprah’s, and… then I was at a loss. I almost thought that the Prince was Sacha Baron Cohen. Glad that turned out to be false.
Did you have a White Christmas? We did. And I need to record it because it may never happen again, or at least that's how it feels. Maybe global warming means it WILL happen, every year, but all I know is that's the first time in my 36 years that I was indoors on Christmas Day, watching big flakes fall out of the sky, and stick to the ground, ALL DAY LONG. We had the warmth of the kitchen as we cooked our 4:00 Christmas dinner, carols playing On the Eights because we kept it on the Weather Channel a good part of the day, and it just felt cozy and beautiful. (Although the floor got dirty as we tracked it in.) The kids loved their gifts. AJ's favorite was, of course, his DSi handheld, but more for the extra features (built-in digital camera and editing abilities). He is also pretty jazzed about the Lego Harry Potter board game and ALL his Ben10 action figures. KT loves playing her Dora Memory Game, and the Barbie swimming pool (without water!). I love leaving the Christmas toys out for a few days and just watching them immerse themselves.
So, after we get through these three days of supposedly very productive work (ahem), we’ll drive down to Savannah for more celebrations with DH’s brother and SIL. They have a new house and a brand-new puppy. I’m excited to see the house and I know the kids are going to go nuts over the puppy. Unfortunately, she is named “Shania.” I am sorry but I think that’s a terrible dog name. How do you create cute little poopie-doopie nicknames from “Shania?” She-She? Nia? Shanny? There’s nothing good.
Other things on my mind here as the year winds up… :: Our family’s overall diet needs to improve in 2011 – as in, more fiber, less crap, especially for my kids. :: We want to scope out and buy a new car this week (deals!) but we can’t seem to find one that we just love –we’re going to drive the Ford Edge today. :: Words with Friends! DH and I are still obsessed with this game. He’s beaten me 2 out of 3 but I’m about to win the 3rd game. :: I got a Buy One, Get One free coupon from Weightloss Wars yesterday and I’m tempted by it – anyone want to do a competition with me? I’ve never done one there but it might be fun and I definitely need to be held accountable. Even without the competition, I have a goal to get fit this year like DH did last year (and I know I say it all the damn time, but such is life). :: On an unrelated note, my parents got me the wine club membership I wanted, and sis got me the stemless glasses! So obviously 2011 is going to be a good year!
4 comments:
Only a few days until First Monday!! EEE!!!
Happy New Year.
Eeee! First Monday! I forgot the name. Thanks, Tess, and very happy new year to you, too!
I wanted pictures of the snow! Last year we had snow on Christmas Eve and it was so magical. Quiet and beautiful, but it did not interfere with our travel plans the next day, so perfect.
I am also recommitting to fitness and food in 2011. I say it all the time too (just been rereading my blog and wow I am repetitive) but it is still a goal. :)
Happy New Year!
Um, wine and new glasses? EXCELLENT new year in store for you!
Love that you got snow... there is something magical about snow on Christmas. We had the beautiful, big, fat flakes here too... they make me happy. Also... when can I come over to play the new Harry Potter game? :)
Glad to hear that your Christmas was great!
Post a Comment