I'm feeling anxious this morning. AJ has had a fever now for 2 days, hovering between 100 and 102. It started Sunday afternoon, when he said he was tired -- something he NEVER says -- and slept through dinner. Later that night *I* was the one running to toss my cookies (you're welcome), so we both stayed home yesterday (Monday). My third sick day w/a child in the last month-ish. AJ felt fine all day yesterday, although I couldn't get his fever down with ibuprofen or magic. I figured he'd be completely righted by this morning, just a little 24-hour thing, until he came into my room and asked for some Sprite, because his tummy hurt. He was laying his head down on the table at breakfast. Still eating, which I thought was a good sign, but clearly not feeling great. Still a 101 fever.
This is where it gets harder as a 2-working-parent family than if one parent stays home, or even works at home. Of course, DH immediately said he would stay home with him today, which we always do. Switch off, I mean. He probably went to bed last night knowing that might be his fate today -- but I still feel guilty that I'm not there (it's a Mom thing, right?) and I'll feel bad about my work if I have to stay home with him again tomorrow (although I'll take my laptop home, obviously), and my mind's not focusing on all my catch-up work here at 6:50 a.m., not to mention an email that was waiting in my Inbox indicating I'm not completing one of my job-tasks the right way.
It's bad timing, too, since I've already requested off all next week for Christmas. I realize this is why they give us sick days, but when they're all close together like this it's uncomfortable. My boss is kind and I know she would/will say, "Take care of your son and get some rest," but still.
I'm sure I've written this very same post before. And with 2 kids, I'm sure I'll write it again in a couple of weeks when KT gets the germ. Sigh.
I wonder what this weird fever is, that won't go away? DH will take him to the doc today, and gosh, I hope they say, oh, his body's just trying to keep warm in this strangely cold winter we seem to be having, no biggie. But somehow I doubt it.
4 comments:
I totally get this, and it's a good description. It IS "uncomfortable."
Even if you have the sick days, and even if your boss "understands", it's just hard.
Add to the mix, in my case, the fact that my boss has a SAH spouse, so he never misses work for "kid stuff", and the person who covers for me doesn't have kids, and so can feel put out too.
Ergg.
Said a quick prayer for you guys that all will resolve itself soon - I hate the Mystery Illnesses. Maddie has a smidge of a Mystery Cough (which I now also have) and I just hate it.
Yup, the two-parent working thing is tough. I'm glad that you and DH are able to switch off, though - lucky that you're able to renew yourself a bit, hopefully. Get yourself a hot chocolate or something and hang tight. Your vacation (DESERVED!) is coming!
Madison had a fever this weekend. Also a runny nose and a complaint that her tummy hurt a bit. But mostly just the strange fever. She's gone from one illness to another for the last year. I feel sure I'm doing something wrong! But I know that's crazy. I'll say a quick prayer for your family.
Oh, I so know how you feel about work. I'm exactly the same way. But it's so easy to see when you are outside the situation how very unimportant it is that you are missing work.
Lots of viruses go around with just fevers. :( Sorry y'all have sickness.
Post a Comment