Wednesday, April 6

joy

Yesterday I picked AJ up from daycare and had a pleasant conversation with the afternoon teacher, who said he'd had a really great day. Apparently, he'd been playing with another little boy on the floor, crawling around and talking to him, and just generally in a good mood. It was so nice to hear -- I worry, often, that he's the kid they all talk about at home after a long day of crying and clingy-ness. Only because he's at that age when separation anxiety becomes an issue. And I don't mean, just separation from me, but separation from any adult. They tell me at daycare that he does prefer having the "body heat" of people sitting with him, even when he's playing. Not sure if that means he's spoiled, or just very social. (Anyone?) But back to the story, his good mood was confirmed when I put him in his carseat -- typically seen by him as one of Mommy's torture devices, so that he throws his head back, straightens his legs, and refuses to sit down. Yesterday, though, he plopped right into place and immediately looked at me and smiled as I buckled him in and "washed" his hands with antibacterial gel. (Yes, I do this every day when I pick him up from daycare!) We stayed there in the parking lot an extra five minutes, at least, because he was giggling with every move I made. I don't know what was so funny to start out with, but when I realized he wanted to play, of course I couldn't resist tickling him.

His favorite games are "I'm... gonna... get... you!" (where my fingers tiptoe up his leg and tickle him at the neck), "Peek-a-boo," and "Pat-a-Cake." I love that when I say, "AJ, wanna play patty cake?" he lights up. He knows words!! Other than Mama and Dada! (He's a genius.) And, unless I'm making this up, he gets his hands ready when I say that, too. So cute. Oh! Another nice recent development is that he's finally formed a tighter bond with his Daddy. They have their little games, too, and he giggles like crazy when Daddy flips him upside down and gnaws on his tummy with a growl. "Arrr-rrr-rrra-arrr-rrrrrrrr!"

I can't wait for my parents to get here this weekend. They are going to be amazed at all his new tricks. It just goes so damn fast. I'm telling you, this year of his life is flying by. Pretty soon he'll have cake all over his face and "1"-shaped candle to make a wish on!

No comments: