I wouldn't feel right if I didn't say something about the Pope's death. Here's a clip from a conversation I had with my non-Catholic friend. I want to remember the conversation, because it was so sweet of her to start it.
Her: Meant to tell you this earlier, but I'm very sorry about the passing of the Pope. How was church yesterday?
Me: You are so sweet. Church yesterday was good. It's so interesting that he passed during Easter. Lots of talk about "the strife is o'er, the battle won" and resurrection and new life and through suffering to eternal joy, and all that. :) They draped the front of the church with black cloth, and the Vatican flag with black ribbon, and had a picture of him in the narthex with a candle and flower arrangement, but overall it wasn't a sad service. We did sing one hymn called "Be Not Afraid," which was fitting due to the overall sadness and feeling of loss (lost sheep without a shepherd), but also because it was the first words he spoke when he became Pope in '78. Very moving.
Me: I didn't say that right -- there were black ribbons hanging on the portico outside the church. The whole front wasn't draped in black. I think they wanted people to focus on the Easter season and the joy part.
Her: I was amazed/fascinated by all the ritual and tradition surrounding this weekend. I was not familiar with his background. Events during his childhood really seemed to shape his worldviews later on. He will be missed, by many, and not just his Catholic family. . . even when people might not have agreed 100% with him on every issue, it seems like everyone loved/respected him a great deal.
Me: I have thought al the media attention was nice, too. Cool to see them talking about God and eternal life on tv w/out it being inflammatory! :) I love that non Catholics embraced him, too, as kind of grandfather figure. At least that's how I see him. :)
Me: and the ritual part (and learning what happens next, with the election of a new pope) is all new to me, too! very neat! History being made right there on CNN. hee.
Her: :-) the black/white smoke fact was really interesting. I think it's so cool that there are all these traditions set in place and there's no scrambling or "what do we do now?" scenes. I was actually on the Vatican website today just to check it out. It must be amazing to see it in person!
Her: I watched a repeat of a Charles Kuralt interview from the early 80s w/ the Pope: he was trying to impress the Pope, and instead the Pope impressed him! :-) Eight languages! Wow!
Me: Great idea to visit the website! I will have to do that, too! My mom said that she heard him in an interview once in his later life, and he was asked "don't you sometimes wish you could just retire?" he said, "Well, suffering is a part of life. Jesus didn't come down off the cross." Love that.
Her: definitely true, but hard to remember sometimes when you're in the middle of hard times... :-) It seemed to me, that he approached everything he did with dignity and prayerfulness, even his death. Definitely a tremendous legacy, and example, to leave the world.
Me: you said that so well. You're right. I was thinking (and then I'll let you go, I'm sure you have plenty to do) that it's got to be really HARD to be Pope -- with the photographers always following you and he probably never really gets to be alone, or do a lot of fun, frivolous things, you know? And of course he has the proverbial "weight of the world" with so many people wanting and needing his blessings, his prayers! But he always appeared happy and at peace, and yes, dignified. 26 years' worth of that life. Amazing.
No comments:
Post a Comment