Tuesday, April 19

well I DID major in it





Your Inner European is French!









Smart and sophisticated.

You have the best of everything - at least, *you* think so.




I think this is funny because: a) I did study French for a long time, and felt all special and "connected" to what I was studying, with half of my ancestry being Cajun/Acadian/French.... and b) most of the actual "from France" French people I've known (versus the Louisianans), really DO think they have the best of everything. Or know the most of anyone. Or [eat, drink, smoke, converse] better than anyone. This used to drive me batty in the French department at college. I really tried to keep my distance from those snobs..... and finally, c) I reluctantly must place myself in the same category, since I often feel myself to be smart, sophisticated and superior. What is it they say? The things you dislike about other people are usually the things you dislike about yourself? Yeah. Um, true in this case.

The hell of it is, I can't speak a dang word of French. If someone asks me a question in French, my cranial translation software boots up VERY slowly. The verb conjugations flicker and bounce around in my brain, I can't remember one iota of vocabulary, and all I can do is say "je parle un peu," then quickly clam up, embarrassed to sound like such une idiot(e?) (It doesn't look right with the "e" but I'm female, right?). See? Not very sophisticated at all.

No comments: