Wednesday, December 21

A blessing today

My college chorus director is a musician whose talent and musical style I admire probably more than any other person I've had the pleasure to sing with. He was strict and disciplined, but fun to work for. He demanded a lot from us, but also went out for beers with us (once. In Europe.). His was the first classical chorus I'd ever been part of; he introduced me to that musical world, and I've never given it up. Choral music is now such a huge part of who I am. (In fact, I just got the schedule for next year's Festival Chorus, and learned I was selected for a small ensemble who'll sing at the Deaconate Ordination in February, yay!) I hope to always sing in some capacity, but especially in a large, trained chorus. Complete with the black skirts/white tops, and standing on risers. :)

Last week I got to feeling really sappy and wistful about my college choirs -- I'd been listening to a Christmas CD we recorded in '93 -- and I Googled this professor, found him, and hesitantly sent him an email. I wanted him to know that I was thinking of him with gratitude for all he taught me, at this very musical time of year. I was always kind-of in awe of (read: intimidated by) him, whether he deserved that or not. So it's very special to me that he wrote back this morning. His note was sweet, just one old friend wishing Christmas blessings to another -- no hint of any conductor's ego (which I do believe he had a touch of, at one time). He said he'd kept up with my whereabouts through a mutual friend, which touched me. He cared enough to know I'd married and had a baby. It kind-of sounds like a celebrity crush, doesn't it? Maybe it was, in a way.

I'm going to be smiling about it all day. :)

Edited to add: I just think it's so nice when the holiday works the way it's supposed to -- bringing old friends together again, you know, Auld-Lang-Syne-style. Things like this email, however small it may be, signify the importance of the modern-day Christmas for me. I hope you have many similar blessings this year.

No comments: