...Coventry Carol
...Starbuck's Peppermint Mocha
...Project Runway
...Fridays (the day, not the restaurant)
...Rachael Ray's French Bread Pizza Rustica recipe
Things I'm Not Grateful for:
...the blind leading the blind
...being solely accused when it's a shared mistake
...Christmas medleys
...project management. I signed up to write, not be a tech wizard.
...work, in general
Sorry, it's Gripe About Work Day. I'm ticked because a project I was put in charge of is not going as smoothly as it should. It's partly my fault, for not catching certain errors, but there are others who put their eyes on the very first documentation, and signed the agreements, who should have noticed the goof-ups, too. I was never really trained in the back-end technical stuff (nor do I have much interest in it). I came to this department because I wanted to write. To be honest, I wanted an easy-ish job (not that writing is easy)... one that would allow me to work from home part-time, because I have a child now and need to be able to focus my attention on him when I'm off-duty. I wanted to be able to leave work at work. I also wanted a position that would allow me to USE the skills that I have.
Instead, I was not surprisingly asked to become a project manager, and I guess that's fine, I agreed to it -- but I wasn't given the same training that the other project managers got. I went to no classes. I wasn't quizzed. I was just expected to figure things out. Thankfully I get constant help from my very kind coworkers along the way, but it's a bit unfair to ask me later, when something's gone wrong, "Why did you let this happen?" IT'S BECAUSE NO ONE EVER TAUGHT ME NOT TO. Not to mention, the least knowledgable programmer is the one they paired me up with on this particular project. So he didn't catch things, either. (Blind leading blind.)
ANYWAY. Sorry. I had to collect my thoughts on that matter. It's not as big a deal as I'm making it out to be. But I got a tad depressed about it all last night, when I got online to cruise the local job listings, just hypothetically you know, and realized I don't really even have a marketable skills set. I mean, yeah Customer Service and yeah "good communication skills," but I'm a master of nothing. I graduated college with honors but I feel qualified to be a receptionist. Or an "executive assistant." (I can set up lunch dates with the best of 'em.) But even the Exec. Ass't jobs I read required 3-5 years experience. Blllllllllah. Hate work. Not even this particular job, I just hate the general life-fact of work. I don't know if I'll ever find the kind of job that is "So much fun it doesn't feel like work." Ha ha ha, I laugh in that statement's general direction.
...I should concentrate on the Pizza Rustica and Project Runway instead, huh?
2 comments:
I am right there with you girl...I have the same feelings about my job and the job listings... Hang in there...
Oooh, girl, it already started! I think last Wednesday was only the 1st episode, though. I'm SURE you can catch up quickly. I'm a total sucker for reality TV and am officially hooked. :)
Post a Comment