Monday, July 31

In which time flies

Dude, is it already July 31?? I can't believe that. I can't. Where is my calendar, that cannot be right.

I'm in denial because of this pending trip to NH. BY MYSELF. You'd think I could be a little more excited -- typically I'd looooong for a 2-hour plane ride where I can read, uninterrupted. And a few days along the lakeshore with my best friends from college? Possibly holding a cold Corona? That can't be all bad. But I... I just really really wish DH could come with me. He and I went out this weekend with another couple, and while it was fun -- ask me to tell you about the spitballs -- it just made me crave more time together.

I was reminded how well he and I go together when, Sunday morning during Coffee Time, AJ decided to grab my cup and start shaking it, to prove his counterpoint that coffee IS for little boys, stoopidMommy, and now you have it all down your brand new shirt, so there. What could I do? I was still holding the now-dripping cup in my swatting hand (yes, I would have swatted his butt once for that infraction), so I set him down, said my stern "When Mommy says, NO, it means NO," and before I could stomp off to rinse the shirt, DH immediately swooped in. The wailing commenced, but so did the Speaking Firmly and Quietly and the Time Out. It was in rhythm. I did the right thing, DH did the right next thing. It worked out. Peas and carrots.

Barring his joining me, since he will go to Grandad's instead, I'd really rather be home with AJ and my parents. Of course I want them to experience their toddler grandson in all his cuteness. :) They deserve special one-on-two time with him. Hopefully he won't... well, I was going to type a lot of things that I hope he won't do, but I know he will, so why bother. He's two. Nothing a popsicle can't cure, and they're allowed.

In a week, I guess I'll be wishing this mini vacation hadn't gone so fast. In the meantime, I will miss everyone quite a lot, I'm afraid.


PS - Spitballs! Were spit at us in a bowling alley! DH instructed me to stealthily investigate Where they came from, and after I told him, he walked straight up to two messy-hair-teen-boys and looked them in the EYES and told them to cut it out or he'd inform the management. They were all, "Whu? Huh. We're not doing anything." BUT I WATCHED THEM DO IT. And it reminded me of a few choice young men in my high school who would have been THOSE GUYS. Laugh!! DH didn't want to do anything more than tell 'em to quit, since a Rise out of us was what they wanted... but it was the highlight of the evening. Oooh, spitballs in the bowling alley! So clever! To be young with nothing better to do. Hah!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Once again, reading your blog made me feel better, because I did nothing but be with hubby this weekend, and I was thinking how weird and probably unhealthy that was -- that we should get out and see other people. Things always seem better "over there."