Wednesday, August 2

Choices

I'll never forget the first BIG decision I ever had to make, all by myself. It was the summer before junior year of high school, and I had been a cheerleader since freshman year. I knew that during the pending fall, the community theater had plans to do a play that I DEFINITELY wanted to be a part of... but if I auditioned and was chosen, I'd have a Friday night commitment that I couldn't skip... for weekly football games. So I had to choose: Do I want to be a cheerleader? Possibly a co-captain? A leader? Or do I want to do this show?

I chose the show, and I didn't regret it. (Evita, I think it was.) But not without a long paper list of pros and cons, pluses and minuses, and much deliberation. The experience has stayed with me -- and with my Mom, who remembers that dilemma every time another decision pops up in my life -- because my friend Cory said this to me:

"Whatever decision you make, is the right decision."

So, fast-forward to just three minutes ago when I hit the Send button on an email that's been waiting in my Drafts folder for about 2 months.... I quit the church choir, and my position as a cantor.

4 comments:

FashionWhore said...

It always takes guts to do something like that.

Anonymous said...

Ditto what Cory said!

Whatever will you do with all of your new-found freedom???

Also, that was a terrible year to cheer anyway...seeing as how I wasn't there either :) hee-hee just kidding of course

Anonymous said...

By the way, I've been wanting to ask...WHAT is that picture??? Coils of a space heater???

el-e-e said...

Yep. Toaster.