One of the writing prompts I've seen recently (because I'm so fresh out of ideas that I need to be prompted) suggests that you revisit your teenage journals and share a poem or an entry from this day, however-many years ago.
Hahahahahahahahaha.
You can forget that. I mean, I could share an entry here... I just went upstairs to dig some journals out of the back of my nightstand, so there are some entries in the front of my mind (a poem called "Love Song," another called "First Love," and a third called "Beacons," having something to do with somebody's eyes, GAAAAH! *hides face in extreme pity for my teenage self*).... but, No sharing. I did find the journal from my first few months in college, and it was so neat to remember when everything was NEW. It was a new schoolyear with all that entails (uncracked books, pencil-smell, fresh paper), a different way of taking classes, and most critical, new people from all over. How neat that freshman year of college, everywhere you go, you meet new people? Every new class or group meeting, there's the potential to introduce yourself to a new friend. I wish that social excitement carried through the rest of life. I remember scheduling lunch with a different new person every day for a while. Or, hey! Dinner! Or even, let's go to the DUC at 10:30 pm and have a yogurt. "To study." Man, that was fun. I was always an early-class person (nerd), so I even liked having wet-haired, no makeup breakfast with someone who shared the morning class schedule.
Maybe I'm nostalgic for just the meals, actually! B'fast now? Is coffee in a spill-proof mug, in my car. Lunch? Either bring from home (bor-ing. leftovers.) or pick something up during errands. Gawd. Dinner? Awww, crap, what are we having for dinner TONIGHT - I've gotta think of something. That's no fun! No social! (Except on weekends, of course -- I do eat pretty stress-free on weekends.) Interesting, I hadn't thought of it before. See how the world does turn.
Anyway, the temperature on my back deck is 53 degrees this morning. In Florida, we used to call 50s "sweater-weather." Of course, it's going to warm up into the seventies today, but the cool morning air? Makes it really, truly September. I think it's my favorite.
What do you remember best about starting college?
No comments:
Post a Comment