...and the streets of our neighborhood...
In typical fashion, I was overcome... at the sight of someone ELSE's kid! Didn't even require my own! When the first PreK'er marched across the daycare lobby in the annual KidsRKids costume parade, my weakling eyes felt that prickle of little tears! Can you believe it? I am a sentimental freak. AJ cried when he saw ME (like his Mama in so many ways), so I got to march in the 2nd half of the parade -- he grabbed on and wouldn't let go.
Costumed kids -- at least twelve Spidermen, 5 Batmans, 2 Thomas the Tank Engines, a frillion Disney Princesses, and 1 Darth Vader -- are delicious and squishy-sweet, better than gum drops. After the parade, I hung around the classroom and helped AJ get over the fact that I might leave sometime in the afternoon. He was visibly concerned. I sat on the floor and became his classmates' human jungle gym -- once again, overcome... or perhaps more accurately, overrun. Kids love, for some reason, to CLIMB ON ME. Especially Meghan. Not sure if that means I would make a GOOD or a BAD daycare teacher. Heh. Not sure if I would want to, but... maybe. :) It's not a terrible way to spend a day. Sure beats databases.
I learned that Ms. M leads the kids in a little blessing-song before they eat lunch. I AM SO GLAD OF THAT! Who knew. I guess it's a private school, she can do what she wants. It's to the tune of "Frere Jacques:" God our Father, (God our Father), once again.. (once again..), we would like to thank you, (we would like to thank you), Ah-ah-men!, (Ah-ah-men). So sweet! The kids all sang it with her. (And now I know why AJ likes to sing Ah-men! so much.)
His other teacher, Ms. R., happens to live in our neighborhood and we ran into her and her family several times last night on the Trick-or-Treating adventure. Very cool -- kinda feels like a neighborly friend caring for him, instead of some random stranger. The whole "it takes a village" idea, which I love.
The Trick-or-Treating couldn't have been more fun. AJ was extremely chatty when a door was opened to him, performing his "Tick-oh-teee," telling each neighbor how he was Blue, and Daddy is 'Teve, and Mama a kitty-cat," and then wagging his little blue tail on command. He broke HEARTS. And managed to score quite a bit of c-a-n-d-y. So funny, his bucket got very heavy, but would he let us carry it? "NO." The neighborhood fire truck was out again with all its bright lights and honking sirens. The bigger kids get a kick out of riding on it. Maybe next year. We asked AJ if he wanted to, and it was another decided "NO." Oh, I never loved Halloween as much as I do as a parent!
Did you have fun? Did you open your door, or turn off all the lights? Did you take your kids out or relish the quiet by sending your spouse? Tell me tell me. :)
3 comments:
Oh, I am looking forward to holidays with a child! I enjoyed handing out the candy. It's interesting to see the different personalities at your door. One little boy said, "Is that a piano up there?" because he likes to play. I wanted to invite him in. One little kitty was too small to even say trick or treat, but she could pick out a piece of candy. DH is down, so he went out to the shoe store to buy shoes with his coupon -- a cheery thing to do. I was thinking this morning that maybe because of him, I already know the scariest thing about being a parent -- there are limits to what your love can do for another person. But we can do our best and definitely make a difference!
My daughter (2yrs old), was hysterical! She seemed to think that because people were opening the door for her and giving her stuff, it would be fine for her to run in and check out their living space. I had so much fun with her, but she was more interested in all the kids walking around in the street than anything else! I guess I have to get her out of the house a little more!!
Clearly the young and innocent took all the sweet adorable costumes because when I delegated the costume getting task to my husband, my 10 year old son came home dressed as a pimp. Not only that, but there were three other kids in his class dressed the same!
I was gratified that we truly have "come a long way baby" and none of the girls were dressed as 'ho's...or at least not any more than they usually are.
Beware parents of toddlers and preschoolers...I am your future!
Post a Comment