Monday, September 15

Bribery, Hairdressery

Sunday School was great, if a little messy. And by that I don't necessarily mean the sandbox of buried Treasures of the Earth; I mean the poor little girl who couldn't stop crying, whose Daddy had to stay with her the whole time. They sat in the back and tried not to be distracting for the rest of the class. By the veeeeery end, she came up front with everyone and was smiling and talking about what stuffed animal she'd bring next week, for the "God Gives us Plants and Animals" chapter. Poor thing. I really sympathized with that Dad.

I'm enjoying the "teacher" aspect of this project. It reminds me of being a kid, playing school. No kidding! I have some techniques I need to improve, like saying, "Guys! Guys!" instead of a more polite, "Boys and Girls." I have to watch myself from looking at the other teacher when one kid -- 5-year-olds, you understand -- stands up to ramble about something completely off-topic and/or weird; my gut reaction is a knowing smile and raised eyebrows, as if to say, "Are you believing this?!" That's probably not protocol. But it's pretty fun to stand up in front like I know something. To call on the kids when it's their turn. It's easy to get 5yos to like you, but... I think they like us/me. And that feels good.

AJ did well in his class, too. I peeked in on him toward the end of the hour, and his teacher was showing them the Sign of the Cross. Their lesson was "Our Hands." So cute. Our hand are for eating. Playing. Clapping. Praying. (Hmmmm. Perhaps we need to be doing a little more praying with OUR students, heh, whoops.) Anyway, he said he'll totally go again, especially if I buy him another prize of a Ben 10 alien action figure. Yes, "another." I bribed him.

Here's one other thing I did this weekend, and I'm sorry in advance for the puddle of "awwww" you're about to become, and also for bragging about how cute my kid is, but believe me. Introducing.... barrettes:


After one time, I couldn't stop. I put one in her hair for Saturday Mass. For sitting around our house Sunday afternoon. For dinner last night. I chose yellow this morning and I'm nearly certain it will be missing after a day in the Infant 2 room, but truly: HOW COULD I NOT??

8 comments:

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

AHH! So! Cute!

Julie said...

Awww...so cute! I was bald until I was two and my mother used to put a dab of toothpaste on my head and top it with a bow so people would know I was a girl.

Anonymous said...

Awwww! So sweet -- those little hands!

Mandy said...

I am so glad sunday went well!! Will the kids in AJ' class be with him next year for Kindergaten?

I would totally be giving looks to the other teacher too:)

KT is getting soooo BIG!!! ....has she taken over the bathroom yet?!?!?!?!?

also, what is you stance on those headband things???

Skiplovey said...

What a cutie!

Madame Queen said...

Awww! So cute, that little ribbon! Punkin is three and she RARELY comes home with her barrettes/bows/clips, so I wouldn't count on seeing the yellow one again!

Swistle said...

OMG BARRETTES! TEH CUTE!!

MaryB said...

As a mom of three boys....awww so insanely adorable.

...and also...sticking my tongue out at you in a a jealous fit.