Monday, September 29

Walk in the forest

Sundays are good days for walking, and so yesterday afternoon, we did. We gathered up nothing but ourselves -- the baby had just been fed and changed, and AJ was raring to go so I didn't even think to get sunscreen, water bottles, or any other superfluous thing that we millenial moms always pack up when we leave the house. I just grabbed my phone in case we got lost or hurt, my camera, and the stroller. We took DH's car because (AJ wanted to, for some reason, and) it's the most fuel-efficient. Since DH had spent both Saturday and Sunday mornings in line for gas before dawn, this was important. Freaking gas shortage. Crazy.

Anyway, all free-wheedlin' and sans accoutrements, we drove the 3 miles to the trail, and then we walked! Once again I was reminded: We live less than 3 miles from a National Park! How cool is that? I was thinking we'd only be out 20 minutes or so, but we ended up doing nearly the whole loop, I think - closer to an hour. Sometimes AJ ran ahead, sometimes he fell behind and shouted, "Hey guys, wait up!" He fell once and lamented that he probably wouldn't be able to play his Hulk Smash board game now, with this owwie (a tiny scrape in the middle of his palm). KT endured the roots and rocks and sand without so much as a whimper -- such a bumpy path would have made me grouchy, I think, if I'd been riding. But she's more agreeable than I. We even took a picture or two.





It was warmer than I'd hoped, but I am so, so glad we did that. There's nothing quite like the companionable "silence" of tall trees, grassy fields, and a chatty preschooler to make you feel contented.

6 comments:

Mandy said...

what a nice day!!!

and its weird ... Collin ramdomly wants to ride in Eric's car too

I cant believe how big KT looks in that picture:)

have you tried letterboxing? AJ may love it!!!

LL said...

What a great weekend activity! We live just a few miles from a beautiful state part but have yet to make a trip- it's funny how seldom you do the things nearby that people travel miles to enjoy. You've inspired me though - maybe we'll go next weekend!

MaryB said...

What an awesome afternoon!

Contentedness is highly underrrated. Glad you found some!

Julie said...

Sounds like a great day! That picture of AJ and KT is so cute! :)

Anonymous said...

so cute! lucky you, to have a national park so close. and lucky you, to have a chatty preschooler! I love hearing your stories of all the stuff he says.

Anonymous said...

I love the cute photos! So glad you had such a nice day!