Friday, April 3

Master of the obvious

Maybe I've said this before. MAN, sometimes this parenting thing is just work. I mean, physical labor. Ya know? We took them to Chili's tonight for dinner because we haven't been out to eat in what feels like forever (although I'm sure it's not been much more than a week or so), and it was just ex. haus. ting. I was on the side of the table with KT -- trying to keep up with her crumb-tossing, which was an impossible task. I realized that if we didn't have the Dog, we'd have shit all over our floor EVERY NIGHT and after EVERY MEAL and HOW in the world do non-dog-families do it?? I mean, it's just ridiculous! I was bending over every 3 minutes to pick up either her spoon or her sippy cup, things I couldn't just leave there like I left the chunks of Saltine cracker and cereal bar. So, bending over all the time, while trying to pitchfork my own salad into my maw, not to mention entertaining her by blowing zerberts, "chair dancing," peekabooing... tiring work.

And DH, on the other side with the 4-year-old, who you'd THINK was not SO much of a physical labor... he was up TWICE to the potty, which is our Standard O.P. during dinner. Twice. Plus forty fabillion "Sit down"s and "Eat"s -- I mean, the brain and the mouth get TIRED after saying something forty fabillion times.

AJ's a workout when we play, too. (And how is that I still say "we play?" And not just "he plays?" I don't know.) He's all boy, I suppose, and when I'm on the floor he figures he SHOULD come up behind me and climb over my back, onto my head, or "KA-PEWWWW" me with whatever's substituting as a gun. And I'm forever telling him to SHHHH, not so loud, we're RIGHT HERE. I think I get tired because my blood pressure stays high. On alert. Always about to be tackled or climbed.

And then of course, KT gets tired and putting her to sleep is a completely physical workout, too. She HATES being on her back so diaper changes are a wrestling match... tonight she had some cookie or cupcake in her hair (from school - Easter party), so I wanted to just quickly wash it... stupid me, I laid her on her back on the vanity with her head over the sink -- she freaked out. Then the rocking, the walking and bouncing (still, at 13 months), her switching her pacifiers for 5 minutes before she finds just the right one (and thus shifting her weight), 'til she finally gets HEAVY, all 21 pounds of her...

It's just no wonder I can't stay awake past 9:00 pm, ever.

9 comments:

Swistle said...

RIGHT?? Plus all the WORRYING. It taxes the brain.

Mandy said...

we hardly ever go out to eat and we only have one! .. we did find that those restaurants with the peanuts on the table are a big help with collin attention span though.


oh and I am in a non-dog house and I am CONSTANLY sweeping by colilns chair in the kitchen ... CONSTANTLY or it stay there till I get aggravated from stepping on stuff ...hmmm, maybe a reason to consider a dog?? is there one that doesnt bark or shed?

Christina Schmidt said...

I agree on all fronts. We went to Olive Garden the other day and I just wished we stayed home, it was MORE work then cooking dinner!

It is so exhausting it makes me want to eat ice cream every night!!

Julie said...

We just don't eat out anymore. Too much work and it's just so darn expensive...we always end up leaving a hefty tip because of all the stuff that ends up on the floor.

nicole said...

Yeah, our floors are filthy. I try to vacuum once a day, but it doesn't always happen. And I always think eating out will be a nice treat, but it never is, because Butterfly is miserable or the kids are restless. Actually, the four big kids do a pretty good job of entertaining themselves relatively quietly. It is mainly Butterfly who makes us miserable. But last night we did eat out, and she actually did really well. So maybe we are turning the corner.

sdw said...

Amen, sister. After 13 hours with a sort-of-sick Madison yesterday, I was ridiculously tired. Darryl asked how I was. "Exhausted," I said.

sdw said...

Coworker just came in to say that she tried to have (and did have) a relaxing weekend, much needed after the exhausting week at work. She said she was sure I had tried, too. I just said, "yeah." Sigh. I did have a VERY NICE weekend. I just wouldn't call it relaxing.

(Twitter and Facebook have been blocked at work, fyi. It's under protest.)

bessie.viola said...

WOW. You are so right... I was just thinking about this as I drove to work this morning. I only got to work out twice last week, and yet I am exhausted and achy after a weekend wrangling a 25lb toddler.

Maddie hates being on her back, too. Diaper changes are so interesting now, aren't they? :)

Allison said...

Maybe you need a Roomba? :)

Bless you and your sweeter than sweet family. And bless Napoleon the Hoover dog, too! Happy Easter, dear friend!