One of the things I don't like about a (continuous, ongoing, lifetime for.ev.er.taking) weight loss effort is that you eventually have to become obsessed with it in order to succeed. Linda's article, and Swistle's, talk about the outward motion of obsession, where you "preach" to other people. I have definitely been there, preachy about fitness and diet when it's going well for me. I get especially preachy about yoga, which I love. Which is all probably a bummer to everyone around me who has to listen.
But this time around, it's a bummer for me as well. It's mentally draining, and lordy is it time-consuming, to constanly count calories and be mindful. I spend time working and re-working my menu in FitDay to get the right numbers of calories each day. With the stair-climbing I've decided is a fun new tactic, I find I'm thinking about it all the time -- When's my next "stair break?" Have I accumulated 20 minutes yet? Are people wondering where I am?
I also like online support; I think I've said before, I've used a message board in the past with success and made friends (one of whom still reads this blog sometimes, hi Stacy!) in the process. So today I signed back up for that, and damn if I don't want to check it obsessively to see new posts for recipes, tips, and responses to my questions. It's like another whole JOB.
I don't want to be obsessed with this. I want to be obsessed - and AM - with my kids. I am paid to be obsessed with my job. I am currently in the middle of a book series (Philippa Gregory) and obsessed with Tudor England, wanting to rent movies and watch TV shows about same. I don't really have time to add another bucket-load of time and mental energy to this, but I feel like I need to if it's going to work. I also don't want to obsess over it and make this a diet blog, which it sometimes already is and I'm sorry for my readers who are uninterested in that.
And it's just 10 little pounds! Just a little belly fat and arm jiggle! It doesn't seem to DESERVE all the stupid attention it's getting.
7 comments:
ME TOO. This is why the Hot By Thirty blog is going DOWN. I know I can't be successful unless I obsess, and yet I hate myself for being obsessive. Now that I feel like I'm at the point of diminishing returns (I am NEVER going to get rid of the belly jiggle, alas) it's time to cut loose and enjoy bread again. IN MODERATION!
This is a great post, and so many people feel this exact same way. I try really, REALLY hard not to give weight too much headspace, which is basically the executive summary of all of my crazy rules and opinions on it. Because you're right, it DOESN'T deserve it.
Uh, what to say? Obsession with weight -- yes, it's a waste of precious head time. But even now I'm concerned too much with how much exercise I get, so I'm with you.
I'm kind of obsessive about exercise these days, which is making Husband a little crazy. I'm trying to tone it down and just be mindful.
What books are you reading? I read all of the Boleyn books and other Tudor wife and children books by Gregory. I just read a book called The Virgin Queen's Daughter by Ella March Chase. It is about an alleged daughter Elizabeth had by Thomas Seymour. It was good.
Have you watched the show The Tudors? I kind of want to rent it, but it looks like it is pretty crude/explicit/whatever for my prudish self.
Nicole, yes, I finished The Queen's Fool and have started Virgin's Lover. They're so great. My coworker watches the Tudors and says I'd love it, but to definitely put the kids to bed before turning it on.
I never saw the "Elizabeth" movies with Cate Blanchett, so those are the ones I'm interested in.
And see? Your obsessing prove my point, because you've been doing GREAT with your fitness goals.
Elizabeth is a great movie. The second one, though, The Golden Age, is awful. It was so disappointing. But the first one is great, even it does paint the Church in a pretty terrible light.
I am the same way...and I only have 7-8 pounds myself. But it's hard. I have those same conversations...are they wondering what I'm doing at work when I disappear every now and then for 5 min? Why do I make time for this when I have a child? It's all about balance though and being healthy is something I know you'll want to pass on. BTW, I think you look great from the photos I've seen. But I get the same comments and it doesn't change my own opinion one bit.
Post a Comment