I'm loving stories of everyone's Fourths of July. The picnics, the "must-have" foods like corn-on-the-cob and watermelon, the fireworks.
For us, it was a perfect weekend. Friday afternoon, we swam at a friend's house in water that was cool and refreshing (unlike our condo's 85-degree pool from vacation week!), grilled hot dogs and chased kids around the yard.
Saturday, we relaxed with some other friends, let the kids play in their backyard where KT climbed the ladder and slid down the plastic slide with NO FEAR, and ... grilled hot dogs. And burgers. And brats. (Our must-have foods included baked beans, potato salad, and watermelon, for those of you playing along at home.)
Then we drove to a most unspectacular place, a nearby office park, where we had a most spectacular time! The kids ran around throwing a football (AJ tried really hard to throw it -- he's used to a smaller ball -- but he got in a couple of very good catches), and then they enjoyed sparklers and cupcakes while someone's iPod kept us entertained. "Jack and Diane," which I normally dislike, just sounds RIGHT on 4th of July, you know?
When the fireworks began, AJ hightailed it to the car with his Daddy -- poor little guy, the noise was too much for him -- but he still got to enjoy the amazing show. He and Daddy "COOOOOL!!!"ed and "AWESOME!"d every blast together. :) We were RIGHT underneath the display. I mean, it was directly above my eyes - I was almost worried the sparks would fall ON us. Beautiful. Loud. Smile-inducing. KT fell asleep on my chest as I sat in a lawn chair, next to neighbors and strangers, under an almost full moon.
In all my summers, this July 4th was undoubtedly one of my most contented and happy.
3 comments:
Sounds wonderful. My kids hate fireworks, so we don't usually watch them. But, I spent the evening at the Rangers game with my parents and brother and sister and sister's kids and it was awesome.
Butterfly's shoes are leather keds with satin ribbons, and her godmother gave them to her and I don't know when/where she purchased them. She buys stuff to sell on Ebay, so she may have had them for a while.
That sounds fantastic! I can't wait until Maddie is big enough to do fireworks - I was too chicken to take her this year, being that it's late and quite a drive and you know... I'm a chicken. :)
Grilled hot dogs are always a part of the background of my 4th, too.
Ah -- new bath mats! Life is good!
Post a Comment