So, it appears that blogs like mine are EXACTLY what the blog-world needs to hold on to. Little stories like mine, told in my very own authentic voice, with no want for swag or ads or paid promotions, are what makes blogging great. I am so glad to hear this.
(...I AM GOING TO BE SO RICH!!!!!)
Just kidding.
But it does make me feel good that I've not had the guts wanted to take my blog to "the next level." I can't believe I spent an hour this morning reading all the comments at the BlogHer09 website, though. I don't know. Maybe a part of me does kinda dream of going there. I mean, some women who go to the conference ARE just small-time, like me. Anyway.
--------------------------------------------------------
What I really wanted to write about today is my number one fear right now. I'm feeling really worried that AJ isn't going to like school. I'm worried about his little feelings, his admitted nervousness about making new friends in Kindergarten. Which is so NORMAL, and I know that. But you know how it is, a Mom hates to think of her little guy being sad or afraid. Mostly, I'm worried he won't think school is fun -- that he'll feel like it's drudgery at a young age, all the way through the 12th grade, because he's been going to school so much of his young life already.
I'm worried he won't be motivated to do homework. Homework that it's CRAZY to HAVE at age five, but nonetheless, they have it now and he's going to have to DO IT. I bought him a little numbers "activity" book, as the school suggested, to work on during the summer. But every time I bring it up, he finds something else (video games) that he'd rather do instead. And I don't begrudge him the video games; they're part of his generation as no other generation before. I want him to be able to play them, actually. But when I was a kid I used to do "pretend" homework. I'd just grab any book off my Mom's shelf, open it up at an angle on my desk, and pretend to take notes from it, on a piece of paper. So I don't understand NOT wanting to do a Brand-new! Numbers! Activity! Book! (I was a nerd, yes.)
I'm worried about logistics. HOW are we going to get homework done? Will it be during his After-Care program at the school, or with me (somehow) at home... um... after dinner? I can't sacrifice his 8:00 bedtime to do homework, and I certainly can't sacrifice his bath... so like I do, I'm worrying over it. I'm sure in the end it will only be 10 minutes of homework at the most, but one never knows.
Despite my eensy hesitation, we ALSO signed him up for tee-ball. Now, I will say that on the one hand, what could be more AWESOME than little boys in baseball pants? I am excited for our first "team" experience, and we're hoping to be on a team with a little friend of his from daycare, which would be great for him. (Otherwise we would surely lose touch with that family, and the 2 boys have grown up together.) There's a requirement that the parents work the concession stand sometimes. Fun!! There will be something to do OUTDOORS every weekend. Score. The season is short, ending in October. All of that makes me giddy.
But the logistics, again, of having 2 practices a week until the games begin, and everything else that comes with a new Committment... worried.
Suppose it would be better to focus on the things I'm excited about, yes?
>> School supplies!! I was putting his name on pencil box and glue bottle last night.
>> Volunteering for lunchroom duty once a month. squee!
>> We got his textbooks -- there's a Spanish one! Yay for foreign language!
>> UNIFORMS!
>> He seems to like Harry Potter quite a bit already. (I can't wait to get to the Sorting Hat!)
10 comments:
Holy cow same boat but we are only at pre-k... I worry about a million things like you. I am reading this great book - if you have not read it check out It's a Boy! (Michael Thompson) He addresses the school thing in Chapter 5. Interesting practical stuff that helps quell my fears and also to understand what boys are all about since... I am not a boy! LOL!
It is a great and easy read. Hope that is helpful - just know you are in the same boat!
Oh, thank you, I will definitely check that book out.
I'm having the same breathe-into-a-bag moment over here, about flag football (!!!) and first grade. It never ends, I guess.
So glad you linked to me -- so happy to find you!
I want to go to BlogHer just because I want to meet some bloggers I have been reading for a long time.
As for school, I worry more about Buddy's behavior. He has never been in a school setting, outside of VBS and Faith Formation. So I worry that he will not be able to control his behavior all day. And he is a little overly affectionate, so we always remind him that he gives handshakes and high fives are more appropriate. And then he is a little guy, so I worry he'll be picked on.
But, he is super excited about school and that makes me happy.
I want to go to BlogHer '10 too, but I am also a lil'bitty blog. Not totally decided yet.
I can't believe that you have all this SCHOOL stuff to do! Buying school supplies is one of my favorite things, though. I get to shop for DH this year, which should be fun!
I can't wait to hear what he thinks of the sorting hat either. I love the sorting hat! "Bee in your bonnet, Potter?"
I worry so much about school, too! Every year, I worry. School supplies do lessen the sting.
Oh, UNIFORMS! I'm so jealous!
I wish they'd have BlogHer somewhere less big-cityish. Big cities make me nervous.
I think they more you worry about school, they less they'll worry about school ; )
You should go to the next BlogHer if you've got a chance to go, I'm sure it'd be fun. They is no way I can justify the money these days but who knows, maybe someday.
Boy, I had those exact same worries last year when Bubba was starting kindergarten and so was Bubba. I just reassured him that everybody was nervous on the first day -- even the teachers -- and that he would be fine. We also had a great book called Kindergarten Rocks (it's a very short book, directed at kids) that we read that helped alleviate some of his fears.
And Bubba LOVED school. I think once AJ gets there, he will too. As for homework, I don't know what your situation is exactly, but Mr. Daddy would work on homework with Bubba while I was cooking dinner. That way, once dinner was over we could do baths and bed. We don't get home until six and we still made our bedtimes. I think it's sort of like bringing home a new baby -- you have no idea how you'll get everything, but somehow you just do! :)
You got some good comments there. I'll just add that I can so relate, and all I'm doing is sending Madison to a two-day-a-week program. I think AJ will love school, and all his new school friends, and it will be better for his mind and his development than playing all day, though it may feel a tiny bit like drudgery sometimes.
You should go to BlogHer. How cool would that be?!
Emily usually gets her homework done at after-school care. I think most after-school places work that into their schedule?
Also, school uniforms = AWESOME. No more mornings of changing clothes 5 times or heading out the door looking like Blossom. I heart them.
Post a Comment