Wednesday, September 2

Documentation

I don't think I want to talk about it much, but I've just been moody and sad the last 2 weeks. Some of it is typical job stress/blahs, and some of it has sunk to really wondering what things have made me truly happy lately. (Fact: plenty of things - T-ball, KT learning words like "tickle" and "it spilled," Kindergarten, reading, the visit from my parents. But still I've been wondering what things DO truly make ME happy? Do I even know? And do I get enough of those things?)

I don't know if it's the change of routine and I can't get a handle on the new "normal" yet (our to-do LIST seems a mile long), or if it's a mid-life crisis of some kind, or if it's just a particularly bad stretch of PMS (2 weeks? much longer than usual) -- or maybe it's because we've had OVERCAST SKIES for 2 weeks... Seattle, how do you do it?? -- but for some reason I want to document it here. So that when I go back and read this when I'm seventy, I can remember "that tough time in August oh-nine."

Blah. I hate when I write posts like this. They seem stupid and whiny. I'm sure it will pass.

7 comments:

Tess said...

I emphatically DON'T hate posts like this. It's nice to know that other people also experience what I call Funks of Unknown Origin.

Laura said...

I'm also glad you posted this. I am generally a very content, go with the flow, happy person. But, every once in a while I have periods of feeling 'blah'.... not exactly depressed, but I guess I'm kind of questioning what brings me happiness as you have. I have a 5 yr. old and 10 month old, good husband, job I generally enjoy, good relationships with family and friends..... all is well in my life. Maybe it is similar to mid-life crisis type feelings where we get settled in to a routine and there isn't really anything exciting to look forward to as we did when we were younger (when I graduate, get a career, make lots of money, fall in love, get married, have children,etc.).

Those feelings usually just fade away as life takes over. It's hard for me to continue feeling too depressed about my minor feelings when I'm reminded of how GOOD I have it in life. That isn't to say we don't have the right to feel down.... I just feel a bit guilty of thinking 'woe is me' when I can't point to anything really bad that has happened. Know what I mean?

I hope your spirits are raised soon. If you figure out any secrets of acquiring contentment, let us know!

I enjoy your blog.

Julie said...

We are currently leading parallel lives. Sigh.

Lee said...

Laura: Exactly. EXACTLY.

nicole said...

It's your blog, write what you want! I do hope things turn around for you, but until they do, you should share as much or as little of your funk as you wish.

sdw said...

My friend, I think I go around worried about things about 70 percent of the time and content about 30 percent. And I call myself happy.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I hate those funks. Hope it all lifts soon! hugs.