Tuesday, December 7

Holidays are Here

We put up our tree this weekend and got the house decorated with minimal trouble and fuss. I mean, there’s always nonsense when you’re asking a six-year-old and a two-year-old to calmly (ha!) put the ornaments on, one at a time please (ha!), and no, don’t take them off againDon’tTOUCHTHATONE (ha?)… but mostly we got it done in under 2 hours. Then Sunday I got the other inside decorations up (stockings, garlands, candles) while DH vacuumed. The kids just wandered around behind me looking at all the new things. It was peaceful. I do remember them both getting sent to their rooms for throwing things at one point. But usually I stress about the whole ordeal, and get overwhelmed when I see ALL the plastic tubs of Christmas decorations we’ve collected over the years. Yesterday I didn’t, though. We have too much stuff so I don’t even attempt to put everything up anymore. I think the house looks lovely, and wow, is it CLEAN! Cleaner than it’s been in a long while, I’m sad-but-happy to admit.

All that’s left is for me to display the Christmas china. One of my favorite things.

Tradition is a big deal for me, so our Elf on the Shelf is making his daily appearance, which the kids love. Aside: AJ had to do a Social Studies project yesterday about a family tradition. I didn't want to do the Elf because it's so common around here. I couldn’t really think of a great holiday one. I mean an Event. We haven’t ever adopted something like a Wintery Walk around the Neighborhood to look at lights, or a Christmas Pajamas and Photo on Christmas Eve tradition. I felt kind-of weird about that, but had to put something – I told him, ‘How about our summer tradition of a family reunion at the beach?’ It IS something we do every year, after all. Is that lame? I don’t know. I could have said Christmas Cherries Jubilee (see below), but we haven’t exactly done that every year. I guess we’re a young-ish family, and traditions will develop eventually And I’d rather they develop organically and not be forced. Anyway, the Elf: We suspect AJ has an inkling about the Truth, and KT is slightly afraid of Pepper, understandably, but it’s still a fun thing to do every year. We had a little festive snack after decorating the tree, as we do (tradition). This year it was pumpkin bread (from a mix) -- a HUGE hit. I’d like to make some Christmas cookies one weekend, as well. There are so many kid-friendly recipes from which to choose!

We’ll be home for Christmas, and DH’s parents will be with us. I’m singing with the choir at Midnight Mass, but I think we’ll take the kids to an earlier one and fight for parking with everyone else. I usually do some kind of soup (like baked potato) for Christmas Eve dinner, and then a festive breakfast on Christmas morning. I haven’t decided what to make, exactly, for Christmas dinner, but I am requiring myself to include my Mom’s sausage dressing, so that probably means turkey, and I want cranberry jelly from the can and I want Cherries Jubliee, even though my Mom won’t be here to light and stir the fire. Oh! I think I also want to make her bread pudding at some point this year. Lots, lots to do. :)

5 comments:

bessie.viola said...

SO fun! I love hearing about everyone else's traditions - it's so much fun this time of year. I think, like you, I feel that I should have MORE traditions, but you're right - youngish families are still developing them.

I LOVE the festive Christmas morning breakfast! That's a tradition at our house as well, though I'm seeking something slightly new to add to this Christmas's breakfast. Suggestions?

Lee said...

The best would be cinnamon bread, buttered, from Jay's Bakery in Pensacola, FL. Now THAT is a tradition. ;) Barring that, however, I always do a fruit salad, mostly so the picky kids will have something to eat, ha. Apples, bananas, oranges, and Craisins is my standard.

nicole said...

Absolutely the beach is a tradition. The gathering of family and all that would make for great writing.

We are having steak on Christmas Eve. We will drive to Meunster this weekend to get some yummy local beef and then stop and eat at Babe's on the way home. On Christmas Eve we will go to 4:00 Mass (getting there at 3:00 of course b/c of the crowd) and the come home and stay in our dressy Church clothes and eat dinner and drink milk out of wine glasses (kids) and then drive around and look at Christmas lights. I can't wait.

Lee said...

awesome, Nicole! Love your plans/traditions! :)

Lee said...

Steak on Christmas Eve is awesomely Texas, too, which makes my native heart happy. :)